I have bad news....... I may not be able to do a 6’ tank after all.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I’ll only be able to do up to a 4’ tank after all. A couple days ago I found out that the widest my apartment’s elevator gets is a bit under 5’ (1.4 meters). This means I’ll be starting off with a 4’ tank because in my current place anything larger than that won’t fit. Maybe it’s not so bad after all because I’ll get to save some space, as well as other costs. If I move to a bigger place in the future the 6’ tank will very much be in the works, maybe by then I’ll even go 8’ lol but for now I’ll have to manage with a 4’. Less maintenance so that’s another up side. I’ve tailored my stocking plan to make it so that if I make the upgrade to a 6’ in the future I’ll only be adding a couple large fish and that’s it.

For now my stocking list for a 4x2x2 is as follows:

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish- Captive Bred

x1 Starry / Bicolor Blenny (Preference A: Starry Blenny Preference B: Bicolor Blenny)

x1 Yellow Coris Wrasse / Melanurus Wrasse (Preference A will be whichever one’s more invert safe and less aggressive though the Melanurus is definitely beautiful)

x4 Pajama Cardinalfish

x1 Coral Beauty / Fireball / Cherub Angelfish

x1 Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby + Randall’s / Tiger Pistol

x1 Royal Gramma

x3 Scissortail Dartfish or x2 Scissortail Dartfish and x1 fairy wrasse (species undecided)

Maybe: x2 Azure Damsels

If I upgrade to a 6’ tank I will have the addition of:

x1 One Spot Foxface

(Then a choice between x2 YPBs + x1 Spotbreast Angel or x3 YPBs or if I can find a male x2 Spotbreast Angels)

It’s sad, but I guess whatever force is guiding the universe wants me to get my feet wet with a mid-sized tank over a larger one. I’ll treat it as a learning curve before upgrading. The only way for me to move my tank from my current place if it were a 6’ would be to have several grown men carry it down the stairs. Now I shuddered when I thought about how dangerous that would be. It can’t be done.

So for now I’ll be limited to fish 6” and smaller but recently I’ve been finding a lot more enjoyment in smaller fish.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals wise I’ll still be doing a mix of softies and LPS so that’s unchanged.

I’ve chosen to include mostly peaceful fish so if I upgrade in the future I’ll have an easier time adding new fish because the larger fish I’m interested in are all relatively peaceful.

With a 4’ I’ll also be able to add a small cupboard or something next to the tank.

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others said, the obvious answer it to transport the tank up the elevator on end.

But if you do go with a 4' 120g tank, I think a onespot fox face will do fine

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The height of my elevator is definitely taller than 6’. I am 5’10. As for the doors of the elevator, I don’t know but once I step inside I’ve taken measurements in the past and they’re surely less than 6 foot. I live in Asia, and although my building’s fairly new, in this part of the world a lot of buildings are more ‘compact.’

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back