OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"My plan is to remove corals and as many inverts from the display place in my small tank and go hyposalinity in the display tank. "

I think this will transfer ich to the small tank. You will have to let it remain fallow for a while. I think you should move fish to the small tank to treat, and then let the DT go fallow to starve out the ich.

Can we get a full tank shot?
Yes I will post soon the large tank is 90 gallons small is 13 simply to small to host all my fish at once. The idea is I hypo the large tank while simultaneously fallowing the small tank to kill ich in display tank aswell on coral and inverts

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UVs do not kill ich, they sterilize it. I have yet to see data on their effectiveness in aquarium settings. Don't think that it will solve your problems. It might help you control a bit, but if there is a bad outbreak, nothing that it can do to stop or even slow it down. Freshwater dip is more stressful for the owner than the fish if done correctly. However, chasing him around the tank is very stressful. You have a solid plan, just go with it. Just be patient lowering the salinity. How are you cycling the other tank?
By cycling I just mean letting it circulate through the filtration and come up to temperature matching alk cal mag anything else before introducing corals?

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go buy some 20g tanks from petco for 50% off. You need to start quaratining all of your fish. I run mine with Tidal HOBs and Matrix. Water change after 2 weeks.
I have to second that. It’s not worth it to remove and lose all your corals and to figure out how to swap and treat everything. Just go buy simple 20g tanks and HOB filters or/and air filters and qt your fish!

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go buy some 20g tanks from petco for 50% off. You need to start quaratining all of your fish. I run mine with Tidal HOBs and Matrix. Water change after 2 weeks.
I have moved my tang into my small tank to quarantine him it looks like it might be velvet. I have picked up another small tank from when I was a kid and will get one more from Petco to house the rest of my fish. I attempted a freshwater dip after matching ph running with an air stone and matching temp it only lasted like 30 seconds before tang went belly up and I took him out. I placed him in the quarantine and he has been glued to a corner since. Still moving slightly. Put some pvc and a small amount of rock in the tank for him to hide in aswell as a clip with some nori on it. If he makes it through the night and I see him eat a little I will be much more relaxed but as of now he seems in worse shape then he was in the display.

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved my tang into my small tank to quarantine him it looks like it might be velvet. I have picked up another small tank from when I was a kid and will get one more from Petco to house the rest of my fish. I attempted a freshwater dip after matching ph running with an air stone and matching temp it only lasted like 30 seconds before tang went belly up and I took him out. I placed him in the quarantine and he has been glued to a corner since. Still moving slightly. Put some pvc and a small amount of rock in the tank for him to hide in aswell as a clip with some nori on it. If he makes it through the night and I see him eat a little I will be much more relaxed but as of now he seems in worse shape then he was in the display.
Also running without a light and currently have a blanket over the tank

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I lost about 15 fish in less than 24 hours due to velvet. I have quarantined ever since. Some of us need to learn the hard way. You have been warned brother. Qt all of them immediately and never put another fish in there without a proper qt protocol. Run that thing fallow. I did 80 days. Some people say you can run it less. It's your money not theirs...

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost about 15 fish in less than 24 hours due to velvet. I have quarantined ever since. Some of us need to learn the hard way. You have been warned brother. Qt all of them immediately and never put another fish in there without a proper qt protocol. Run that thing fallow. I did 80 days. Some people say you can run it less. It's your money not theirs...
That is the plan but unfortunately I don’t have unlimited time to sit infront of my ro and wait for water. The tang is by far the most infected one. The rest only have 1 or 2 spots. Everyone will be out by the end of the week

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the plan but unfortunately I don’t have unlimited time to sit infront of my ro and wait for water. The tang is by far the most infected one. The rest only have 1 or 2 spots. Everyone will be out by the end of the week

You can also buy distilled water too if you need water fast

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will my baby tang be ok in this 13 gallon for a quarantine or should I move him to a 30 gallon later this week

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a pretty good setup. Know that the rocks will absorb copper if you treat with that.
Yes I know my girlfriend put it in there and my tang looks so stressed I was just going to give him a couple days before removing the rock. The poor guys pupils have been so small since I’ve put him in there my girlfriend says they weren’t this morning but I never saw them their normal size so I don’t know

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know my girlfriend put it in there and my tang looks so stressed I was just going to give him a couple days before removing the rock. The poor guys pupils have been so small since I’ve put him in there my girlfriend says they weren’t this morning but I never saw them their normal size so I don’t know
Leave the rock, just don't put it back in the DT

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock has been exposed to copper, I've heard from a few different sources (including some in the two threads linked in the quote below) that using cuprisorb and poly filters can absorb/remove enough of the copper to make the rocks reef/invert safe again (as always, YMMV, but that's what I've heard):
I’ve heard similar to lion king’s comment from others: water changes with cuprisorb and poly filters seems to work (at least in some cases).

Some threads with examples:

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone got an opinion on how he looks. I haven’t seen him eat since adding him in. Looks extremely stressed to me

Attachments

• IMG_5458.mov
    33.7 MB
OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock has been exposed to copper, I've heard from a few different sources (including some in the two threads linked in the quote below) that using cuprisorb and poly filters can absorb/remove enough of the copper to make the rocks reef/invert safe again (as always, YMMV, but that's what I've heard):
Not that big of a deal just a couple rocks I glued together to make an arch, rather play it safe then sorry I’ve been learning in this hobby if something can go wrong it will. I dont know if everyone has that experience but if a fish might eat coral it will in my tank if it might kill inverts it does ect

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stressed and skinny, but not terrible. Give him time and peace and get him eating...
Anything I can say do to in courage eating other than garlic. Have been soaking all food in garlic selcon metro and focus. Stopped feeding tang metro/focus once introduced to quarantine but still soaking in garlic and selcon except for the last piece I put in. Would transferring to from the 13 gallon to a 30 help?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back