I just bought 2 icecap gyres from brs

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to need flow and I wanted something different than the big and bulky hydors. I got the 4000gph with controller and two pumps. It was an impulse buy due to their 20% off sale. Anyone have or has used them before? Just curious if their any good?

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a set of the 2k's as well, im just waiting on my tank to get here. Like you i didnt want the bulk of the bigger ones especially since my tank is only 16" deep. I have a friend that runs them on his frag tank and doesnt have any problems. He has them set directly across from each other on a bare bottom tank and gets really good flow.I will have sand in mine so im sure i wont be able to run them at full power but only time will tell. They are very quiet, so much that the skimmer makes it so you cant hear them at all when its running. Same maintenance as other gyres when it comes to cleaning and due to the length of the blade impeller it does take a few minutes more than your traditional powerheads. A bucket of citric acid to submerge them in works great for this. hope this helps.

OP
OP
jeffrey750750

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a set of the 2k's as well, im just waiting on my tank to get here. Like you i didnt want the bulk of the bigger ones especially since my tank is only 16" deep. I have a friend that runs them on his frag tank and doesnt have any problems. He has them set directly across from each other on a bare bottom tank and gets really good flow.I will have sand in mine so im sure i wont be able to run them at full power but only time will tell. They are very quiet, so much that the skimmer makes it so you cant hear them at all when its running. Same maintenance as other gyres when it comes to cleaning and due to the length of the blade impeller it does take a few minutes more than your traditional powerheads. A bucket of citric acid to submerge them in works great for this. hope this helps.
I'm in the same boat, awaiting my tank as well. Should be this week, so excited. I plan on changing my cleaning habits and getting away from vinegar.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair on my Waterbox Frag 105.4. They do move some water. My only issue is with the setup / app. In my opinion there's too many settings to change / adjust. But once you get all that figured out they're pretty much set and forget. I had originally removed one side of both to get a smaller foot print but realized I wasn't getting the best flow. They'd been in the tank for about 4 months so I decided it was time to add the second blade back on and switch out the orange blade for the black. They're now pretty much invisible against the black background (they're mounted on the back glass). After putting the second blade back on I have the two top blades pointing toward the front center. The bottom blade on one is pointing across the back behind the rocks and the other is pointing forward to go across the front of the tank. They're pretty much dead silent. I've got them maxing out at 60% right now.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked mine. On one tank I have a feed mode enabled by apex, but for the other tank I made this little box that provides 9v to the 0-10v port. That is programmed to start the feed mode.
70BBA7A8-74FE-4433-A724-05C1CA6E5BF7.jpeg

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair on my Waterbox Frag 105.4. They do move some water. My only issue is with the setup / app. In my opinion there's too many settings to change / adjust. But once you get all that figured out they're pretty much set and forget. I had originally removed one side of both to get a smaller foot print but realized I wasn't getting the best flow. They'd been in the tank for about 4 months so I decided it was time to add the second blade back on and switch out the orange blade for the black. They're now pretty much invisible against the black background (they're mounted on the back glass). After putting the second blade back on I have the two top blades pointing toward the front center. The bottom blade on one is pointing across the back behind the rocks and the other is pointing forward to go across the front of the tank. They're pretty much dead silent. I've got them maxing out at 60% right now.
Hey man! How is the extra flow treating your sand bed? Haven’t seen updates on your tank this month.

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the app, it’s a pain, kinda ugly but it works. I have 2 2k’s in my 40 breeder, they move good amount of water and also very quite

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a pair of 4ks on my 65 gallon which is OVERKILL. I can only run them at 45% max without kicking up my sand bed. The app is really confusing at first as you have to set the pumps settings, than a preset, then a trigger, but after you figure it out and play with it for awhile you will find it pretty simple. I have mine synced on the back wall as to not obstruct my side view. They push water against the glass and push up all the junk from the sand into the over flow really well.

Full_Tank_081120.jpg

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man! How is the extra flow treating your sand bed? Haven’t seen updates on your tank this month.
I've noticed a difference...not nearly as much algae / dino / cyano...or whatever the stuff is. This morning I increased them to max out as 60%. They're alternating ramping up / down over 30 seconds. So far not seeing any of the sand being blown around. The last time I vacuumed the sand was like 7 or 8 days ago. Prior to that it would get covered in a matter of 3-4 days.
IMG_20200811_134114499_HDR.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back