I just can't figure it out...ph

Twostepper4041

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone says not to chase ph... However it's disturbing to think my ph is at 7.4 and will only get to 7.9 with peak lighting.

Nitrates are around 3-4
Cal 440
Alk 8.1 trying to bring it up a tad
Lighting cycle is 9am to 9 pm
Salinity is at .26

I have a mp40
65 gallon display with 15 gal sump
Skimmer reef octo
Why am I having ph issues?

I just changed my probe and re calibrated it
Running apex system

Thoughts?

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer house with AC on and no open windows? Could be a high co2 issue. I solved all my problems by not testing PH. :) I know it's a good idea to monitor PH to catch dosing errors so I would just ignore your numbers other than to set a normal point. Is your tank exhibiting any issues?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.4 gets pretty nervous! Try extending the air intake tube to your skimmer out a window. It definitely sounds like high co2

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated you might try airing the house out a bit and also make sure that your power head is making the top of water to ripple. Is the top of the tank open or closed?

reefkeeper51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your magnesium reading? All 3 work together...calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. If all 3 are stable, and at the recommended range, I wouldn't worry about pH.

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue when I started my tank...low PH. I raised my Alk to 9.5-10 and that seems to help keep my PH up. I'm not saying this is right or wrong...just what I've done and it seems to work. I know that higher Alk sometimes causes burnt tips on SPS, but I have no experienced that. A local reefer here fixed his problem with a DIY C02 scrubber connected to the intake on the skimmer. This is typically easier than try to run the intake outside the house. The online downside is that it's one more maintenance item as the media in the scrubber doesn't seem to last too long.

If everything looks healthy....I would recommend not worrying too much about it. In my experience, consistency is the biggest factor.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fixed mine by dripping kalk. The tank I was having issues with has no skimmer. It was in the dead of winter and I use gas heat. I did open the window and my Ph went up .3 within a couple hours.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try a reverse lighting schedule on the sump with the addition of some macro algae.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back