I know about the “ugly” stage of cycling but this is ridiculous.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a phosphate Hanna Checker and I dosed phosphorus. Now what?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell Neophos. It’s phosphorus. Sigh. So what’s a good phosphorus level? I’ll have to go get a test for that tomorrow.
Lol it's okay! Phosphorus binds to many elements and minerals. It's most likely absorbed into the rock. Not a big deal. Just test again tomorrow and then dose again per instructions. It's not unusual for po4 readings to show up after a couple days of dosing.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it's okay! Phosphorus binds to many elements and minerals. It's most likely absorbed into the rock. Not a big deal. Just test again tomorrow and then dose again per instructions. It's not unusual for po4 readings to show up after a couple days of dosing.
So what level should I dose to? That’s how the dosing instructions work.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.05 to 0.08 is a good sweet spot for something like this.
Ok. So I’ll not overdose tomorrow and we’ll see what happens. So you’re talking about the phosphorus? The instructions on the bottle give you a formula based on the levels you want. Do I need a separate phosphorus test? I don’t really understand the difference between the two.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I’ll not overdose tomorrow and we’ll see what happens. So you’re talking about the phosphorus? The instructions on the bottle give you a formula based on the levels you want. Do I need a separate phosphorus test? I don’t really understand the difference between the two.
No. The phosphorus will produce the inorganic form of phosphate. That's the form we test for. I will say the ULN one is better for this purpose but we aren't testing below 0.01 so not big deal. Did you get that 2 fingers of makers mark yet? ;Hilarious I'm teasing

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The phosphorus will produce the inorganic form of phosphate. That's the form we test for. I will say the ULN one is better for this purpose but we aren't testing below 0.01 so not big deal. Did you get that 2 fingers of makers mark yet? ;Hilarious I'm teasing
I’m not a bourbon drinker but Maker’s Mark is the best by far! I think I’ll have some wine. You may be teasing but I’m not. I need a drink!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how will I know I’m dosing correct amounts?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need a separate test. The Phosphate LR and Phosphorus ULR tests use the exact same chemicals as a reagent. The only real difference is the range they read in and how that number is presented. Your test kit should be just fine.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a bourbon drinker but Maker’s Mark is the best by far! I think I’ll have some wine. You may be teasing but I’m not. I need a drink!
My wife is enjoying a glass of Sweet Red Roo as we speak. Cheap and she loves it. Win-win.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Today the NO3 was 2-3ppm like it was supposed to be. The PO4 is still zero. I dosed both again today. The rocks are starting to look better. The algae is a little less thick. I’ve noticed that where it’s gone, the rock is bright white. So once the numbers are good, should I stop dosing? Or am I going to do this until the algae is all gone? It’s working!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Today the NO3 was 2-3ppm like it was supposed to be. The PO4 is still zero. I dosed both again today. The rocks are starting to look better. The algae is a little less thick. I’ve noticed that where it’s gone, the rock is bright white. So once the numbers are good, should I stop dosing? Or am I going to do this until the algae is all gone? It’s working!
I would keep dosing to keep it above 0.06ppm.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back