I messed up my Nero 5

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was cutting a new whole in my control board and didn’t even think to move my Nero 5 cord. I had a t shirt over it for dust and once I removed the shirt I realized the hole saw cut the wire see pictures below. Is there anything I can do To fix the wire or is there anyone that knows how to. I really didn’t want to have to spend money on a new one since I just spent way to much on the apex. Do you think AI will be able to help? The controller lights up but flashes red I did not want to take any chances so I unplugged it

544D1C69-1458-4E6F-8D32-B1BADB33C0B6.jpeg D4DCA41E-5D7E-4FED-8750-599870DE3F9E.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably repairable, although this is beyond my own individual skillset. There might be some helpful YouTube videos that could assist you, or perhaps someone more knowledgeable on R2R can weigh-in.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not much to work with on the controller side, but this could most likely be spliced back together. You could cut back the insulation and see how many wires were damaged and only splice/repair those. YOu could possibly open the controller and see how the wires are connected. I would assume it is soldered. If they are you could then make a cut below the bad cut and then remove the soldered side and re-solder. Maybe you could find someone in your area that does this type of work if you do not want to chance it.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not much to work with on the controller side, but this could most likely be spliced back together. You could cut back the insulation and see how many wires were damaged and only splice/repair those. YOu could possibly open the controller and see how the wires are connected. I would assume it is soldered. If they are you could then make a cut below the bad cut and then remove the soldered side and re-solder. Maybe you could find someone in your area that does this type of work if you do not want to chance it.
Agree with this -- definitely repairable if you're good with a soldering iron. There's enough there to work with or better yet, if you can pop the cover of the controller open (as mentioned), go that route. Solder and small heat shrink is your friend if working on the exposed wires in the pic (but, since you asked, best to get someone who has done it before if you can).

P.S. I think it's lame that AI has the power cord and pump cord on opposite ends of the controller. Would've been better if they were both on the same side and both detachable,,, but oh well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was cutting a new whole in my control board and didn’t even think to move my Nero 5 cord. I had a t shirt over it for dust and once I removed the shirt I realized the hole saw cut the wire see pictures below. Is there anything I can do To fix the wire or is there anyone that knows how to. I really didn’t want to have to spend money on a new one since I just spent way to much on the apex. Do you think AI will be able to help? The controller lights up but flashes red I did not want to take any chances so I unplugged it

544D1C69-1458-4E6F-8D32-B1BADB33C0B6.jpeg D4DCA41E-5D7E-4FED-8750-599870DE3F9E.jpeg
You will repair strand by strand using these waterproof wire connectors ( menards, home depot, lowes)

1646693273524.png

@Brew12

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all for helping out! I contacted AI and they said to send it in and if they need to replace the whole thing it would be 140 dollars but I’m thinking that’s what they are going to do. I don’t see them trying to re solder the cord. I am not the best and probably should try to solder it. I do have some wago connectors. Do you think there is enough for me to plug it this way?

if you were in my position would you send it to AI to see if they can fix it first or would you just try to fix it with the wago connectors?

Thank you again!

Attachments

• 38927348-1F98-4752-BE7C-309D57A6703C.png
    38927348-1F98-4752-BE7C-309D57A6703C.png
    424.4 KB · Views: 52

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fix it youself, be happy that its the end thats not in the water..We all get a little smarter AFTER we see our stupity....Jion the club , we have all done it

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do the lever connectors -- seems too easy to have a disconnect there if you ever grab/hold the controller.

See vetteguy's post if you don't want to solder

You should be able to find some crimp connectors with shielding -- you don't need full waterproof there just some kind of minimal protection sleeve

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to keep butting in but check these out -- research yourself 'cause I only did quick scan and didn't read much but these are cheaper than the levers you posted and I think similar to what vetteguy posted. (Lastly, you probably don't have a heat gun but could probably CAREFULLY work with a lighter)

Connectors Starting Research Idea

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not send it to AI. I don't believe they do that type of repair. Just replace parts but sounds like that part does not detach. This is an easy fix to splice back together.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay thank you all for the help! I have never done this so your help has been amazing! I am not going to send it in because I stripped the wires and touched each wires corresponding colors and it turned right on. I had a few questions though. I will splice the wires together with what vetteguy recommended. The issue I’m having is the cord is so short since the spot that got cut. My question is if the wires with the plastic splice on it are to big to fit through the rubber piece on the controller should I just remove the rubber grommet and feed it through without? It’s in my control cabinet so I’m not nervous about water but i didn’t know if maybe that has some importance to it. It was wrapped in a tin foil type material. Is that just to hold the wires together? I’m a noob to this so I want to make sure I don’t cause a fire risk lol

please let me know if any of that didn’t make sense lol

237DF61D-07A5-4CD5-9D92-65EEF0F04E19.jpeg

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also what wire size is this should I just buy a kit that has different connectors sizes?

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
fix it youself, be happy that its the end thats not in the water..We all get a little smarter AFTER we see our stupity....Jion the club , we have all done it
I couldn’t help but laugh lol never crossed my mind to remove it. As my wife says I always just go for it and deal with what happens afterwards lol

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what wire size is this should I just buy a kit that has different connectors sizes?
Kit I linked has assortment down to 26 gauge which is pretty small. For like $8, I'd just get that.

I think you should have enough length left on your wires.
If you cut anything, start with cutting insulation off one side of the butt connectors, just up to the first crimp piece that grabs the wire insulation -- meaning LEAVE all 3 crimp collars but shorten the insulation on the connector just up to the last collar. (Hope that makes sense)

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kit I linked has assortment down to 26 gauge which is pretty small. For like $8, I'd just get that.

I think you should have enough length left on your wires.
If you cut anything, start with cutting insulation off one side of the butt connectors, just up to the first crimp piece that grabs the wire insulation -- meaning LEAVE all 3 crimp collars but shorten the insulation on the connector just up to the last collar. (Hope that makes sense)
Ah I apologize I didn’t realize the link, thank you! I do have a heat gun so I think this will work out perfectly thank you!

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That made perfect sense thank you! It ain’t pretty but it works! Is there any fire hazard that this can cause? I went a little to trigger happy with the heat gun and the wire looked like it was sticky is that bad?

Attachments

• F23EAFDA-B098-4253-AEE0-1F863A7666B2.jpeg
    F23EAFDA-B098-4253-AEE0-1F863A7666B2.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 73

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics of how the butt connectors went on?
I'd say all fine as long as none of the insulation on the connectors or insulation on the wires melted all the way through to the metal wire.

I see you used a big heat shrink to contain the end batch -- good job!

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any pics of how the butt connectors went on?
I'd say all fine as long as none of the insulation on the connectors or insulation on the wires melted all the way through to the metal wire.

I see you used a big heat shrink to contain the end batch -- good job!
Yes thank you for your help! It’s been working great so far! I don’t think it went through it just looked a little sticky I unfortunately don’t have a picture

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back