I Messed Up?

thebrick1996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total newbie here. I spent a generous amount of time on research prior to setting up my reef, but also decided I was smarter than literally everyone in all the threads and videos I saw saying "Do NOT get an rbta as a beginner".

Long story short, rbta shredded in pump. immediately did 20% water change, new carbon in the filter. Ammonia levels are zero and the fish seem totally fine.

Is it a waiting game for my tank to be nuked or is it salvageable?

55gal, only established about a month, 2 ocillaris, couple scarlet reef hermits and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you reacted quickly. If you done the water change/running carbon and ammonia is at zero you should be ok. Just monitor for a day or so. Look for some covers for your power heads so you’re ready when it’s time to try again. :)

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Glad it's seeming to work out for you! Did the Nem "walk" into it? Was he attached somewhere but let go? I have two large BTAs in my 32g and they seem happy where they are (recently split but only "walked" 5 inches away) but I have concerns if they let go and float up to my powerheads.

OP
OP
T

thebrick1996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's seeming to work out for you! Did the Nem "walk" into it? Was he attached somewhere but let go? I have two large BTAs in my 32g and they seem happy where they are (recently split but only "walked" 5 inches away) but I have concerns if they let go and float up to my powerhead
He was attached to some LifeRock and I think he may have just detached. He had been walking around a tiny bit but not much before this.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total newbie here. I spent a generous amount of time on research prior to setting up my reef, but also decided I was smarter than literally everyone in all the threads and videos I saw saying "Do NOT get an rbta as a beginner".

Hey at least your willing to take responsibility for your actions which is more than many do these days. As mentioned maybe run some carbon but you should be fine.
I would wait a while longer before adding another. They really do better in a more mature tank. Mine always split when the tank was young but now 8 years later they rarely split and the only time one moves is when they start getting crowded because they are getting large.
Early in the game I went from 3 to 48 in my 180g all from splits. Just saying ;)

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble tips in general are unlikely to completely nuke a tank if the get shredded in a powerhead. You took reasonable steps and things should be okay just react if any behaviors change. The stronger stinging larger nems are usually the ones more likely to nuke a tank when they get powerhead shredded.

So in the end be glad you're a newbie who made this mistake by adding a more "beginner friendly" nem like a bubble tip instead of a hadoni or a gigantea! We all make a few excited overzealous decisions when we start out, and they're great humbling events that are good times to grow as a reefer!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back