I need a customizable lid, or something. Please help

Hepatitis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40br tank with all HOB equipment. I need a lid (prefer mesh for ease of maintenance). I ordered a DIY kit which was really just a window screen kit with 1/4" mesh. But of course it doesn't work as window screens are designed to be a square and not.... whatever shape this is, so it just falls apart after compressing into trash.

Really need a lid on this tank for peace of mind. Where do I go? What do I build?
20211026_150130.jpg

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get some additional connectors to make yourself some cutouts for your equipment. Or you could look for something similar to this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-cut-outs-red-sea.html

Please note these only work on the red sea kits. I learned the hard way after ordering two kits. I know there are some 3d printed ones you can print or order. I don't have a link on hand...

OP
OP
H

Hepatitis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get some additional connectors to make yourself some cutouts for your equipment. Or you could look for something similar to this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-cut-outs-red-sea.html

Please note these only work on the red sea kits. I learned the hard way after ordering two kits. I know there are some 3d printed ones you can print or order. I don't have a link on hand...
I did order those, and yeah they don't work with regular kits from BRS. But honestly even if they did, the largest "hop" is 4" from the filter, and they don't make/have connectors to make the backwards 90° turn after the filter. So then it gets all wobbly and falls apart.

Maybe I'm just frustrated with it, but its really not a great kit if you have wires and light clamps or a HOB filter

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom quick fix, I used a fly net which costs £2 some skewers and electrical tape for a quick fix, until I find a suitable solution without overpaying, my hob takes up corners

Attachments

• IMG20211026201154.jpg
    IMG20211026201154.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 79

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did order those, and yeah they don't work with regular kits from BRS. But honestly even if they did, the largest "hop" is 4" from the filter, and they don't make/have connectors to make the backwards 90° turn after the filter. So then it gets all wobbly and falls apart.

Maybe I'm just frustrated with it, but its really not a great kit if you have wires and light clamps or a HOB filter
Yea there really isn't a good solution outside of a custom acrylic lid. I made my screen top a little shorter than my hang on equipment. No fish have jumped through the gap yet...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put a mesh square on the front and a plastic cutout covering the back. So like two lids. A traditional rectangle mesh lid and something you can easily cutout for the back. Don’t use acrylic as it warps.

This is how glass lids are sold. With the plastic you cut yourself for the back. Maybe you can buy just the plastic refill somewhere?

Looks like they sell it at various places. Just make sure to buy the right size.

From there you could probably DIY attach it to the tank itself since it won’t attach to window screen kits. Even just a tiny piece of removable tape on each end to keep it from easily being knocked off.

Last edited:

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hepatitis What I’ve done with mine is have egg crate cut to size in the back for more flexibility, then a diy mesh lid made of a window kit.

I’ve added adhesive handle made for aquarium glass lids after the pictures were taken. I really like it.

BD3AA113-C63C-4D72-9D06-CF9FF247F71D.jpeg

03ADBF4C-9175-4862-96C8-FB6B2AF9D7D0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hepatitis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there really isn't a good solution outside of a custom acrylic lid. I made my screen top a little shorter than my hang on equipment. No fish have jumped through the gap yet...

You could put a mesh square on the front and a plastic cutout covering the back. So like two lids. A traditional rectangle mesh lid and something you can easily cutout for the back. Don’t use acrylic as it warps.

This is how glass lids are sold. With the plastic you cut yourself for the back. Maybe you can buy just the plastic refill somewhere?

Looks like they sell it at various places. Just make sure to buy the right size.

Yeah those are both good ideas, I didn't want to do glass because it just traps so much heat and salt creep. And acrylic does warp. I'll probably do a hybrid of these ideas and cut it short for a square, then look into a smaller glass section or delmar epoxy the rear

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hepatitis What I’ve done with mine is have egg crate cut to size in the back for more flexibility, then a diy mesh lid made of a window kit.

I’ve added adhesive handle made for aquarium glass lids after the pictures were taken. I really like it.

BD3AA113-C63C-4D72-9D06-CF9FF247F71D.jpeg

03ADBF4C-9175-4862-96C8-FB6B2AF9D7D0.jpeg
This looks great. I actually did that for mine as well, but not as clean or neat. I just have some pieces of eggcrate blocking the open holes where the net doesnt reach

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used part PVC plank and part window screen all from Hope Depot.
IMG_3973-M.jpg

Interestingly the planks shadow the back so you cant see the stuff there.
No planks
IMG_3867-M.jpg

Planks in
IMG_3989-M.jpg

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to Lowe’s. They sell kits to make window screens. I bought the frames from there but the corner pieces from Amazon because I needed a bunch of cutouts and they’re cheaper there. I did buy the mesh from BRS to get just the right size, as well as the right thickness of inset holders for the glass (could also just make it to sit on top but I think within the rim looks cleaner). I think this is the most cost effective way to do it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EGG CRATE.

It is a plastic grid. Allows for evaporation and gas exchange. Easily cut with wire cutters for customizing. Allows light to shine through.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back