I need advice on removing the bulkheads from the bottom of my tank

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 65 gallon tall tank and stand this weekend. I am going to break it down and clean everything but the tank does not lift up off of the stand because of a lip on the trim of the top of the stand. I need to remove the bulkheads coming out of the bottom of the tank on the inside the stand so I can slide the tank out of the stand. I cannot figure out how to turn them without the entire piece turning. I don’t mind destroying them to get them out because I am going to seal those two holes and install a ghost overflow. Can anyone tell me how to remove them without breaking the bottom of my tank?

1B704FCA-CC6D-4B20-8F31-1FE7F2E255DB.jpeg 80A1B524-6B35-4664-8692-589AA72DDEE4.jpeg

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab ahold of the barbed end with a pair of pliers and use a pair of channel lock pliers, turn the nut off.
Thank you. I will give that a try tomorrow I’ve been holding the nut with one set of pliers and turning the Barb but it isn’t working.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I will give that a try tomorrow I’ve been holding the nut with one set of pliers and turning the Barb but it isn’t working.

It may cause damage to the bulkhead barbed end and require replacing them. Just saying, depending on how tight they were installed. If they are old, I'd replace the gaskets for sure if you plan on reusing the bulkheads.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a a bulkhead wrench and hold the barbed end with a wrench, easy.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a bulkhead wrench. I think that is why I’m having such a difficult time getting them off because I’m trying to hold the bulkhead nut and turn it with a crescent ranch and it keeps slipping off. I have already destroyed the bottom fitting with the pliers so I’m going to replace the entire fitting I just need to get them off so I can remove the tank from the stand.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a bulkhead wrench. I think that is why I’m having such a difficult time getting them off because I’m trying to hold the bulkhead nut and turn it with a crescent ranch and it keeps slipping off. I have already destroyed the bottom fitting with the pliers so I’m going to replace the entire fitting I just need to get them off so I can remove the tank from the stand.
Cut the threaded bulkhead nut in half I suppose then.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Channel-lock on the bulkhead nut, hold the rest as best as you can. This should definitely work. At worst, you might need to cut bulkhead off. Also, since this only is a 65g tank, can't you simply lift it off the stand with a couple of strong friends, set on its top or back and then do whatever surgery you need to remove the bulkheads?

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Channel-lock on the bulkhead nut, hold the rest as best as you can. This should definitely work. At worst, you might need to cut bulkhead off. Also, since this only is a 65g tank, can't you simply lift it off the stand with a couple of strong friends, set on its top or back and then do whatever surgery you need to remove the bulkheads?
I could lift it off by myself but they built a lip over the rim of the bottom of the tank and slid the tank into the stand before they plumbed it. So you cannot lift the tank off of the stand, you have to slide it out and I can’t do that because of the two bulkheads on the bottom of the tank.

050B72DE-3D21-433B-BB0C-40BC6B0E9E38.jpeg

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a “saw” for pvc that’s basically a wire and two loops for handles. You can run the wire along the glass to cut through the fitting. Once through the nut, you can peal it off the rest and remove what’s left. Or just cut through the whole thing.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a “saw” for pvc that’s basically a wire and two loops for handles. You can run the wire along the glass to cut through the fitting. Once through the nut, you can peal it off the rest and remove what’s left. Or just cut through the whole thing.
That sounds perfect for what I need. Do you know if they sell them at Lowe’s?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice you mentioned your holding the nut and trying to turn the hose spigot. You want to turn thenut while holding the spigot. In either case be sure you are turning the correct direction"

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... Sorry if you already know this but many bulkheads are reverse threaded. With the issues your having I have to ask if your turning the correct way?
With my luck that is probably exactly what I was doing!

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right I hope everyone is ready for my solution to my problem. After reading about the wire saw, I just knew that was going to fix my problem so I ran out to Lowe’s and bought one, came home and got to sawing! About halfway through the first bulkhead I took a break and could not get the saw blade started again! I have been working on the tank stand which was fully enclosed and used a reciprocating saw to cut a large square panel out of the back of the stand. I noticed that the finer tooth blade was very flexible so I placed it against the bottom of the tank and cut both bulkheads off of the tank in less than 60 seconds. Sometimes it’s the easiest solution especially when you are not trying to save the part that you are working on. Thank you all so much for your input and your help. I truly love this site and all of its members.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back