I need guidance on a Reef Dynamics Skimmer

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an older Reef Dynamics INS135S. I have been using it for more than 6 months. I am including PICS of my actual skimmer, and two that are like mine. I never understood exactly how to run this. There is an air tube that runs off of the venturi nozzle on the pump. I get that. There is another air tube that has a valve that runs off the part I think they call the sliencer. Whatever it is I have always kept it about a quarter closed to keep the skim working best. If I open it all the way not as good. And the last part is a pipe that is removeable. I have been told that this pipe is adjustable but I don't know how. Here are the pics.

Heres an INS135 S no tubes
AAB1FAC9-9E5B-468D-BFCD-22D5DE40C939.jpeg

Here is one where it looks like they connected the venturi tube to the silencer tube. And it has a valve.
5F8738F2-A01E-48AF-931A-2FE7A9BE7D5E.jpeg

This is how I have been running mine. Venturi tube into a home made silencer. Other tube coming off the silencer on the skimmer with valve 1/4 closed.

B28D505E-DF59-4435-A33A-F68D8121574C.jpeg

So no ine told me maybe I was supposed to connect the valve tube the to silencer on the skimmer and the other end to the venturi. I do know it didn't work well with the valve all the way open. The taller grey tube is adjustable but I don't know what its for. Recently this skimmer stopped skimming. It still makes microbubbles. I cleaned the venturi for 15 hours. No change. I don't know what happened but I would like to understand this particular skimmer better.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taller grey tube should adjust water level in the skimmer if I remember correctly. I had a small airline valve on mine as well and kept it half closed I believe. Connect to the silencer with a valve inline or just hook it up to the venturi and not the silencer. Remember mine being very quiet. Great skimmers. I'd run nothing but Euro Reef/Reef dynamics if they still made em.

Try straight to the venturi with a valve first and see how it sounds imo

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a INS 80 skimmer or Euro Reef CS 80 looks like a dolphin pump. There are videos on you tube how to setup your skimmer Euro Reef, the original name of the company same owner. The air line goes to the gray pipe only.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a Reef Dynamics INS135s.Basically its a Euro Reef. Same emblem. I have had it running for a long time with no issue. Its a Rio 2100 with a venturi. For the most part I know how but the adjustment pipe I didn' know. Plus it stopped skimming. I soaked the veturi in vinegar for about 20 hours. There are bubbles in the chamber. Foam not rising past neck. When it worked well the skimmer cup had to be emptied weekly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean the venturi with a drill bit twisted between the fingers.
Already did. Water too high in sump? Could that do it? I don't k ow what to do. Nothing has changed. Maybe the sump level is higher since I have chaeto now? If somehow it starts skimming its just barely. Could it just be that whats needed in the water for skim is not it the water?

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer should be in 7" of water, what is the dimension of your skimmer, can you measure the diameter? say the lid, and the height?

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is mine. Can't find my tape measure. Water is more than 7" because baffle is taller than 7". But skimmer was run for years in this sump before me and then when I took over it ran fine for last 9 months. I took the pump apart. But it was fine. Only thing I can think of is that the two 500 gph powerfilters are taking out what the skimmer needs to function.

• Minimum Height Required: 24"
  • Ideal Water Level: 7" Constant
  • Reaction Chamber & Cup Diameter: 6"
  • Reaction Chamber Volume: 1.47 Gallons
  • Pump Inlet Size: 1"
  • Water Outlet Size: 1¼"
  • Pump (included): Modified Sicce Pin-Wheel Pump
  • Pump Consumption With Maximum Air Intake: 26 Watts @ 115/120 VAC 60hz
  • Air Intake: 720-780 lph

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap 6" chamber is indeed a INS 135. Thanks the picture is deceiving.
So this is still not working. I am tempted to believe that the tank is stable doesn't have the stuff in the water needed to make foam. The skimmer is making foam daily but it doesn't make it into the collection cup anymore. Is it possible I just don't need the skimmer in a tank where I have two Aquaclear 110s that do 500 gph each?

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 120. A pair if Triggers, 3 dwarf angels, some chromis, damsels and a clown. The skimmer is rated for a larger tank. It has been running since January and other than the first few days it has always skimmed. In fact it would put an inch or two of skim in the cup in 3 days. I had a Grouper at that time with the two Triggers. So it still makes foam. But its not getting into the cup anymore. And it hasn't in over a month. I did clean and soak the venturi for 24 hrs. I had lessened the flow on the sump and that might have been when this started. But I put it back up to where it was and it still isn't skimming.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks your skimmer is the correct size for a 120, have you tried the old ER trick, get a pot of boiling water, put the air line tube inside the pot of very hot water and let the pump suck the water into the pump, be careful.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It cleans out the Venturi from salt creep, poor mans way is just stick the air tube in the sump.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this time later I can say a few facts. The bubbles are kicking in the chamber. But if I compare a picture of the skimmer from when it skimmed until now I notice that in the old pics the entire chamber is white with bubbles. Now about 2-"4 of the bottom of the chamber is without bubble. I have the water level very high in the sump. But I did try to lower it to where it worked and it did not start again.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a You Tube video of Jeff showing exactly how to tune a Euro Reef/Reef Dynamics skimmer, the bottom layer of the skimmer should be bubble free, that is the way they are designed just like H&S skimmers, that way you do not get any micro bubbles in the DT.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a You Tube video of Jeff showing exactly how to tune a Euro Reef/Reef Dynamics skimmer, the bottom layer of the skimmer should be bubble free, that is the way they are designed just like H&S skimmers, that way you do not get any micro bubbles in the DT.
ok thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back