I need help/advice with jawbreaker mushroom

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first jawbreaker was a failure and it melted completely. I am obsessed with mushrooms and have successfully kept WWC OG bounce, CB circus bounce, I have a dragon lady bounce and several other healthy mushrooms. Jawbreaker have eluded me and I can't stand it.
Peramaters;
Nitrate: 5-10ppm (API test kit)
Phosphate: .07 (hanna checker)
Magnesium: 1480 (hanna checker)
Calcium: 540 (hanna checker)
Alk: 12 dkh (hanna checker)
Salinity: 1.025 (refractometer)

Can't really think of any other perams to document. I have heard that they don't care for high flow but my flow doesn't even push the sand around in my tank. It's a 20 gallon AIO. I haven't had this mushroom very long and it's going down hill fast. It was sold to me as an OG poletti and I will seriously cry if I lose it! The frag piece it was on was cut in half by the seller and after placing it in my tank, a piece of the frag plug started to fall off and the mushrooms foot was pulled on quite badly. Can't see any visible tears. I ended up purchasing this mushrooms baby incase I lost this one but the baby it's doing good either!

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO SAVE IT BEFORE IT GETS AS BAD AS MY FIRST! THANK YOU FOR ANY RESPONSES I DO GET

I've attached photos of the progression of its decline. I received it on April 21st and the photos with its mouth open is from today, May 13th. I'm seriously at a lose, I'll do anything. It's not my most expensive coral but by God it's one of my most prized. ♥️

Screenshot_20230513_165328_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230513_165459_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230513_165530_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230513_165559_Photos.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is pretty high. It likely is shocked and trying to adjust from its original alk enviornment.

Jawbreakers are some of the hardiest mushroom corals but if it was cut in half, that could cause some lifespan and health issues since these mushrooms dont naturally clone but rather reproduce from pedal lasceration.

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is pretty high. It likely is shocked and trying to adjust from its original alk enviornment.

Jawbreakers are some of the hardiest mushroom corals but if it was cut in half, that could cause some lifespan and health issues since these mushrooms dont naturally clone but rather reproduce from pedal lasceration.
Thanks for the input! I've been using redsea coral pro salt and it mixes pretty high, at around 11.. would doing a water change with instant ocean, that has lower values, help lower the alk?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I've been using redsea coral pro salt and it mixes pretty high, at around 11.. would doing a water change with instant ocean, that has lower values, help lower the alk?
Yes start using a salt with lower alk values.
I would switch to red sea blue bucket.

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes start using a salt with lower alk values.
I would switch to red sea blue bucket.
What ever happened to these shrooms , I hope they made it ? Are they better now ?

I have a 2 inch jawbreaker that recently started bunching up like this and I’m trying to figure out what happened (my alk is only around 8-8.3 & is stable) all other parameters are good and all other shrooms in the tank are doing ok

I have had the shroom for several months and it normally covers the whole plug but started shriveling up a few days ago and is really worrisome

I made a thread but so far to responses

I hope your shrooms recovered when you lowered the alk , any insight as to what these shrooms may be doing is greatly appreciated

Here is the link to my thread with photos :

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever happened to these shrooms , I hope they made it ? Are they better now ?

I have a 2 inch jawbreaker that recently started bunching up like this and I’m trying to figure out what happened (my alk is only around 8-8.3 & is stable) all other parameters are good and all other shrooms in the tank are doing ok

I have had the shroom for several months and it normally covers the whole plug but started shriveling up a few days ago and is really worrisome

I made a thread but so far to responses

I hope your shrooms recovered when you lowered the alk , any insight as to what these shrooms may be doing is greatly appreciated

Here is the link to my thread with photos :

That is a gorgeous shroom you have! Unfortunately, mine did end up melting away completely but I believe it's mostly because I upgraded my tank in the middle of its stress and its made it 10x worse. I also lost 2 of my prized torches in the move. However, I also upgraded my lights and hade 2 jawbreakers spring back from almost certain death. Not sure if that's your problem, but just my experience. Hope it works out for you! I also did lower my alk to about 9dkh consistently

Attachments

• 20230327_073734.jpg
    20230327_073734.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230730_161613.jpg
    20230730_161613.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 36

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back