I need help building custom leds for my reef tank, I want them to be kind of like radions with all those colors and I want it to be possible to adjust

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I want to build custom lights for my reef tank, I want to make them like radions with all of those colors.

I have some of the parts already. The heat sinks, drivers, fans, and I put them in boxes for a while when I
was taking a break from those lights using different ones for a while, but now I think I am ready to try again.

When I tried again I tried to do it with less lights in smaller sections of heat sinks and I fried the lights.

So now, I would like to go over everything I need for the lights and the instructions to make custom lights, so when I purchase more led
bulbs I don't fry them.

I will post pictures of what I have so yall know what I am talking about.

I want everything to be on timers so they come on and off everyday at the same time, and I want each plug to be hooked up to a wifi outlet so I can turn them on and
off from my phone if possible.

So what I am asking is what colors do I need to make them like radions, how many of each bulb, what kind of dimmer switch do I need, and how do I find out if I am over powering them or not so I don't fry them again with the drivers or just putting a 12 volt wire to them for testing? Something went wrong but I am not sure what.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure rapidled has pucks for sale and the round heatsinks. There are many controllers you can make and use.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leds.jpg

This is the colors I would like my tank to be I want to see every coral I put in there looking like this.
I have no lights right now so its just the heat sinks, but I will order the lights I need.

Right now I have 3 small heat sinks that I wanted to try to put over my 20 gallon, but I fried the lights.

This time I want to build them to work for my 20 gallon while I am getting the parts together to upgrade
to a 55 gallon tank.

When I have the 55 gallon tank setup I would like to move the lights over to that reef tank, and at more if I
need to heatsinks; so with that being said I can either add the large heat sink and a couple of other ones, or what ever is
needed to correctly light my reef tank.

I would like to hang the lights some how above my reef tank a distance needed to get the right par.

So if you can please answer my questions above.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also mention, that before I did have the lights working, but I didn't really like the color that it was in my reef tank
with just the blues and whites.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back