I need help catching a flame angel

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my flame angel decided to become an angel over the last month and I caught it picking (aggressively) at my fuzzy sps. I’ve lost several pieces of lps and sps over the last couple of months which I assumed was due to a partial crash but I have a suspicion it may be because of the angel.

Long story short, how do I get it out? I have lots of rock and corals I’d wish not to disturb.

Anyone have luck with the aqua medic trap? I was considering trying one but 90$ is steep to try without some good suggestions.

It will aggressively attack nori with my tangs if you think that will help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Most fish traps work well. You have to use a strategy by entering food such as brine shrimp and leaving it open allowing flame to go in and eat and feel safe entering it, then you know what to do next.

trap3.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aqua Medic fish trap works pretty well. Large enough and the trap door comes down fast.

There's also this new one that's pretty radical. I've only used it once but it did the job in less than an hour.
They also have less expensive models without the remote control electromagnet or bait pump.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all else fails, this works:

1565390084289.png

JK! I've had great success with a simple bottle trap made from a two liter soda bottle....with a little added secret part that makes it easy.

Using a two liter soda bottle, cut off the top and, if need be, enlarge the opening in the top of the bottle to just fit the fish. Reverse the top and place into the bottom portion of the bottle. I punch holes through the bottles edge and use twist ties to hold everything together. Now here's the secret....put a small hole in the bottle that will fit the tip of a turkey baster.

1565390251886.png

If you can, while your starving the fish, anchor this bottle trap in your tank so the fish get use to it.

Now starve the fish for 2 or 3 days. Place the bottle trap in the tank and fill your turkey baster with some taste food.....I like mysis. Use the turkey baster to hold the bottle underwater and now squirt the food into the bottle. Leave the turkey baster in the hole and every so often squirt water into the bottle causing the food to swirl around like a snow-globe. The hungry fish will see this food and dart into the bottle.

It's worked for me every time (except for a clown pair).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High and dry method is another one that works well for angels.

Drain the tank except for a few inches. It's easier than it sounds, especially if the tank isn't huge

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a acrylic divider. I measured my tank...went to Home Depot and had it cut to the exact size so there are no gaps. I use a net to usher the fish to that end of the tank, I may have to remove one rock to slide acrylic in place, and catch the fish in 5 minutes. No tearing the tank apart, making a mess of corals, or stressing all the other fish. I have had better luck with that method. I have a 200 gallon six foot long tank....I put the acrylic divider down on one end where there is less than a foot of space. The traps have never worked for me...... usually every fish I am NOT trying to catch goes in there......lol....let us know how it goes! [emoji16]

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught mine with an bottled water bottle. I cut the top off and folded the bottle in on itself to create a sort of funnel and then got some rocks/shells from the tank and stood it straight up on the bottom with some food pellets on the bottom. The Flame Angel went for it in an hour or so and because the fish has to swim down and do a rapid U-Turn to even have a shot at getting out. You could also get one of these from Amazon as it's only about $45 or so:

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back