OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a guy who can get me retail prices so I will go through him if I do a80. But the a80 is only good for sps at 14x14 area.

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the shimmer. It doesn't have that disco ball effect that I've seen on some others. However, it's definitely not anywhere near as good as metal halide (one of things I loved when I ran them) or the kessil.

Welcome DH...I have never seen anyone on this site flame anyone else...

Vinh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup the A80 and love it!

I went from AI Prime -> cheap LEDs -> A80. First impressions of A80 is that I love the simplicity. Two knobs and done - Kessil takes care of the proper spectrum. The shimmer does not disappoint. Now I understand what everyone is raving about. The build quality is so much better than the AI Prime. The fact that it's a fan-less LED is awesome but it can get away with that because it's underpowered compared to other LEDs. However for my 10 gallon nano it's perfect. When I first installed the light it was on 100% intensity and literally minutes later my hammer and frogspawn started shrivel. Had to decrease the intensity way down then corals started to plump back up. Didn't realize corals can be that sensitive. It's now running in acclimation mode on the controller for 14 days.

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup the A80 and love it!

I went from AI Prime -> cheap LEDs -> A80. First impressions of A80 is that I love the simplicity. Two knobs and done - Kessil takes care of the proper spectrum. The shimmer does not disappoint. Now I understand what everyone is raving about. The build quality is so much better than the AI Prime. The fact that it's a fan-less LED is awesome but it can get away with that because it's underpowered compared to other LEDs. However for my 10 gallon nano it's perfect. When I first installed the light it was on 100% intensity and literally minutes later my hammer and frogspawn started shrivel. Had to decrease the intensity way down then corals started to plump back up. Didn't realize corals can be that sensitive. It's now running in acclimation mode on the controller for 14 days.

I’m going to go sell some stuff and maybe be able to get a used radion xr15 or kessil a360 used with controller

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build your own will be at or under $100 and get the color you want! Rapid led sells everything you need. Super simple and customer service for questions or help is on point.

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build your own will be at or under $100 and get the color you want! Rapid led sells everything you need. Super simple and customer service for questions or help is on point.

I’m looking at that but what do i need to build it and I want it to be dimmable

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got my actinic blue moonlight on ebay from the seller 21ledusa for $12 and the leds are great, they hit the bottom of my sandbed and the color is beautiful, i run it with my power glo 12 inch light and it gives off a very beautiful shimmer.

kamuii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and i think the seller has the dimmable lights on there as well. they have reefbars and led strips

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was going to say you can do monthly payments through affirm on marine depot and go with a AI 26 HD but the prime HD is a great choice.

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only for a 10g and then a 14g biocube so the hydra is unneeded. And monthly payments suck as I’m a teen with no job

DH-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome DH...I have never seen anyone on this site flame anyone else...
Not sure what I missed...I certainly didn't flame anyone, just gave my take on the shimmer of the lights that I currently run...It's okay, but not a kessil shimmer.

Cary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what I missed...I certainly didn't flame anyone, just gave my take on the shimmer of the lights that I currently run...It's okay, but not a kessil shimmer.
@DH-Reef, I am sorry. I didn't mean to insinuate that you did. I was just trying to be welcoming and got a little wordy.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Busy tank day. I'm bored. Post some pics.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1954.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back