I need help fast

Tonemalone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went in vacation for a week came back and my tank was covered in algae I have a clown a shrimp,Xenia,blasto and a hammer now I smelled the tank and felt weird but I also got anxiety from reading about poly toxins I know it sounds dumb but I’m freaking out
https://imgur.com/a/yxpG0jT

Last edited:

Filthybum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think poly toxins come from polys and zoas. While most all corals give off toxins to fight off other corals I don’t think a hammer or Xenia’s or blasts could make you sick. Unless you are allergic to one of them. Do you have polys or zoas in your tank?

OP
OP
T

Tonemalone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think poly toxins come from polys and zoas. While most all corals give off toxins to fight off other corals I don’t think a hammer or Xenia’s or blasts could make you sick. Unless you are allergic to one of them. Do you have polys or zoas in your tank?
Neither are in there I just didn’t know if you could get it from dinos

Filthybum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? It looks like a lot of green hair Algea nutrients probably high if you have Algea growing

Filthybum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert on Dino’s but I don’t think you have them. From what I understand they only grow in a low nutrient environment. There’s a few posts in the forums that talk about Dino’s but I don’t think there can harm you either. But like I said I am no expert

OP
OP
T

Tonemalone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert on Dino’s but I don’t think you have them. From what I understand they only grow in a low nutrient environment. There’s a few posts in the forums that talk about Dino’s but I don’t think there can harm you either. But like I said I am no expert
Either way thanks for the help I really appreciate it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Huge water change, add lots of carbon, decrease white lights and increase water flow
Utilize filter socks or similar to trap suspended matter as it dissipates

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that stuff pictured cannot be just blown off the rock and is good old GHA, then +1 on @vetteguy53081 advice. If it is stringy snot that blows off, then we talk plan B.

For Plan A, I'll add on:
During the next 3 WCs -- about a week apart at 20% IMO -- once you've sucked out the water into your bucket, pull out a rock or three and scrub the crap out of them and rinse in the old water bucket. Stiff bristle brush free of detergents.

Another lazy reefer Plan A would include dosing Vibrant, but you must have a decent skimmer running.

I never like to see bubbles really, but I've not witnessed dinos and an APPARENT GHA outbreak in the same tank. If you want to confirm that one way or the other, you need access to a simple microscope at 100X. Put a sample of some of the bubbly snot under it and make a youtube video w/ ur phone through the eyepiece. Post it at the end of this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/ for an ID.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back