I need help identifying what the heck this is!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mcgrew
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mcgrew

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2025
Messages
28
Reaction score
13
Location
somerset UK
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s growing mega fast and originally came hidden on a green star polyp rock I bought, I can clear it all off the gsp (by taking the rock out and manually pulling it off!) but it grows back in a week and dominates the rock again, it’s also spread to a nearby rock and all that has grown in one week from a single polyp!!!

I have no idea what it is though so no idea how to control, local fish shop have no idea either and I can’t seem to get better photos of it to showcase it

I’m hoping someone here knows what it is and has advice
IMG_4065.jpeg
IMG_4067.jpeg
IMG_4066.jpeg
 
Myrionema sp. hydroids to be specific (either M. hargitti from the Atlantic or M. amboinense from the Pacific; I don't currently know how to differentiate the two).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new