I need help with an electric issue.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Bean brought it to my attention, some time ago in a different thread, and now I see it everywhere with battery backup systems(including mine)...

Your gfci is in the "wrong" place in the circuit. It should be after the battery backup, or transfer switch in your setup.

When on backup power the inverter will provide uninterrupted power and ground probe will be a path to ground. In other words the gfci will not trip and there is the potential of electrocution....

Yes, Bean knows his electric. He provided input when I was building the backup.

You make a sensible point and see my choices as; reconfigure the setup or remove the grounding probe.

But a GFCI off a 12 volt battery?
 
Last edited:
Or just add another gfci here or here. I would likely put it before the transfer switch.
1000039905.jpg
 
Or just add another gfci here or here. I would likely put it before the transfer switch.
1000039905.jpg

But the GFCI is already before the transfer switch; isn't it? So would that be two GFCI or one GFCI in either of the two indicated positions?
 
But the GFCI is already before the transfer switch; isn't it? So would that be two GFCI or one GFCI in either of the two indicated positions?
Both locations. The output of inverter has nothing to shut it off.
Alternatively, you can move the one you have to after the ATS. But this way, the ats itself will not shut down with it.
I guess I would base the decision on where the backup system is- relative to the tank. If it's next to it, I would use 2 gfci outlets to shut it all off. If it's in another room, I might only use 1(where the tank plugs in).
 
Both locations. The output of inverter has nothing to shut it off.
Alternatively, you can move the one you have to after the ATS. But this way, the ats itself will not shut down with it.
I guess I would base the decision on where the backup system is- relative to the tank. If it's next to it, I would use 2 gfci outlets to shut it all off. If it's in another room, I might only use 1(where the tank plugs in).

I have to digest this...
 
I have to digest this...
I think I misread your previous post... you would be adding one gfci in one of the circled location. Your current gfci shuts down the line power in. As is, there is nothing to interrupt the inverter line.
You can have a gfci on each(both) line in, or one gfci on the output from ats. I would want one on each power source.
Again, this only makes a difference while it's running on the backup.
 
I think I misread your previous post... you would be adding one gfci in one of the circled location. Your current gfci shuts down the line power in. As is, there is nothing to interrupt the inverter line.
You can have a gfci on each(both) line in, or one gfci on the output from ats. I would want one on each power source.
Again, this only makes a difference while it's running on the backup.

I understand. So I have protection from the AC source, but not from the DC source. Correct?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new