OP
T

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new is OK, we have all been there at one time. Your asking questions, and responding appropriately, thats the important part. Learn from your mistakes.

WC is effective as long as the water your changing with is lower.

Are you mixing your own water? If your are, what salt mix are you using?
no I get it from my fish store. So im assuming they make it themselves.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call your LFS(local fish store), and ask them if they know what the alkalinity of their made up water is.

Leaving it be, and letting it fall naturally will work too, and probably will be less stressful on your coral.

OP
OP
T

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call your LFS(local fish store), and ask them if they know what the alkalinity of their made up water is.

Leaving it be, and letting it fall naturally will work too, and probably will be less stressful on your coral.
Ill just let it be because my corals are standing up again, and look healthy right now. I do plan on going to the fish store tomorrow so i will definietly get a alk test and more water. Do you recommend getting anything else to help this other than time and not putting more ph buffer in?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well when you go into your LFS tomorrow, ask them what they would do. You know what we have said to do.

Right now and for the immediate future, quit stressing, and just leave it be. The alk will fall on it's own eventually. This hobby should be fun, and when it becomes stressful, it certainly isn't fun anymore.

I would suggest for the future to get an Alkalinity test kit(salifert is cheap and accurate). That is the single most important supplement we need to test for. Let your PH settle out for a couple days, then test it. If your around 7.8 or above, just leave it be.

Alkalinity should be between 7 to 9 optimally. Pick a number and leave it at that. Most reefers run alk around 8 to 8.5 for a little buffer up or down. I personally like to run my tank closer to natural sea water at 7.5. But that number is purely what I like, and what I visually see my tank looks the best at.

OP
OP
T

tylerczubachowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well when you go into your LFS tomorrow, ask them what they would do. You know what we have said to do.

Right now and for the immediate future, quit stressing, and just leave it be. The alk will fall on it's own eventually. This hobby should be fun, and when it becomes stressful, it certainly isn't fun anymore.

I would suggest for the future to get an Alkalinity test kit(salifert is cheap and accurate). That is the single most important supplement we need to test for. Let your PH settle out for a couple days, then test it. If your around 7.8 or above, just leave it be.

Alkalinity should be between 7 to 9 optimally. Pick a number and leave it at that. Most reefers run alk around 8 to 8.5 for a little buffer up or down. I personally like to run my tank closer to natural sea water at 7.5. But that number is purely what I like, and what I visually see my tank looks the best at.
Thank you for the help! I appreciate it, I just get stressed because I never had a fish live longer than a couple weeks in the past. This is the first time that I have successfully kept them alive longer than month, and I was using freshwater fish before too which are considered easier. Thank you again :)

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat it, nothings dieing. lol

Sit back and read up on some of the stickies at the tops of these forums. Great wealth of information in them.

Don't be afraid to ask questions either, thats what forums are for.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back