I need help

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys I’m trying to decide what to do, I want the IM Nuvo 25 lagoon and I don’t know if I want to do the AIO version or the drilled and do a sump, what are your opinions

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on what you have room for and how much work you're willing to put into it. Alot of people get the AIO because they're more simple and save space not having to put the sump underneath. Others do a sump for increased water volume, and for a place to hide equipment so there isn't a bunch of cords hanging off the display tank. All a matter of personal preference :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am willing to do either but can I get the same results from either? It’s just a matter if I’ve never set up a sump and done all that

I vote sump, while there are numerous successful AIOS, sumps just make everything easier and cleaner. I added a sump to my AIO and am very happy I did. More flexible equipment options, added system volume, ability to add a fuge/ reactors easier, better to hide equipment the list goes on and on. As @crabs_mcjones has said it all comes down to space and what you would like out of your system.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote sump, while there are numerous successful AIOS, sumps just make everything easier and cleaner. I added a sump to my AIO and am very happy I did. More flexible equipment options, added system volume, ability to add a fuge/ reactors easier, better to hide equipment the list goes on and on. As @crabs_mcjones has said it all comes down to space and what you would like out of your system.
How did you add a sump to your aio and to with aio?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am willing to do either but can I get the same results from either? It’s just a matter if I’ve never set up a sump and done all that
Sumps are more simple than they're made out to be. I prefer sumps as they give you more water volume, more space to hide equipment (skimmers, reactors, heaters, dosing tubes ect...), give you more room to add a refugium, and you can house more filtration options (filter socks, filter pads) You can buy pre-made ones or make your own out of an inexpensive aquarium and sheets of acrylic.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you add a sump to your aio and to with aio?

I took a drill bit to it;)

Actually I had someone take a drill bit to it, much easier lol I had it drilled for a Bean animal drain through the back of the aquarium. And it's a Red Sea Max C130.

Last edited:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just to give you an idea, taken while plumbing:) AHHH good times!

downloadfile-17.jpg

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as Crabs_mcJ said, you can get the same results from both. Having a sump is no more difficult than having an AIO. They both work the same way, a sump just has pipes in between the DT and the filtration area instead of a black divider panel.

The benefit of a sump is that it gives you more flexibility in terms of equipment. Since you'll have more room for a skimmer, reactor, etc. you'll be able to pick from a wider set of equipment options.

The benefit of an AIO is space.

For example, I have a 24g with a sump in my home office. Since the sump takes up a lot of room under my stand, I only have room for a small ATO tank next to it and I can't keep many other supplies under my stand. Not a problem since I have a closet in my office and my RO/DI unit and mixing station is in the room right next to it.

But I'm also considering a tank for my living room ... one floor down from my RODI unit. I don't want to lug buckets of water up and down stairs 2-3 times a week to to fill the ATO. So using an AIO means I'll have room in the stand for a MUCH bigger ATO reservoir which will need refilling less often ... and I'll also have room to store all of my gear and supplies in the stand as well.

Basically just boils down to space and, as was already said, persona preference.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as Crabs_mcJ said, you can get the same results from both. Having a sump is no more difficult than having an AIO. They both work the same way, a sump just has pipes in between the DT and the filtration area instead of a black divider panel.

The benefit of a sump is that it gives you more flexibility in terms of equipment. Since you'll have more room for a skimmer, reactor, etc. you'll be able to pick from a wider set of equipment options.

The benefit of an AIO is space.

For example, I have a 24g with a sump in my home office. Since the sump takes up a lot of room under my stand, I only have room for a small ATO tank next to it and I can't keep many other supplies under my stand. Not a problem since I have a closet in my office and my RO/DI unit and mixing station is in the room right next to it.

But I'm also considering a tank for my living room ... one floor down from my RODI unit. I don't want to lug buckets of water up and down stairs 2-3 times a week to to fill the ATO. So using an AIO means I'll have room in the stand for a MUCH bigger ATO reservoir which will need refilling less often ... and I'll also have room to store all of my gear and supplies in the stand as well.

Basically just boils down to space and, as was already said, persona preference.
okay thank you very much that was very helpful in my decision

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On small tanks I like all in one big tanks sump all the way there are so many pluses to sumps but on my 110 the power went out water all over my floor pipe leeks so it would write the pluses and negatives down and make the one best for you

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On small tanks I like all in one big tanks sump all the way there are so many pluses to sumps but on my 110 the power went out water all over my floor pipe leeks so it would write the pluses and negatives down and make the one best for you
For me it’s do I wanna spend all that money to set up a sump for a 30gal aquarium when later down the road when I have room, I can get a 100g + sump and stand for like the same price from somebody else..

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s a great approach. You will most likely ditch everything you use for the 30 gallon when you upgrade with a few exceptions. I like going with a small tank first because you get an idea what you really would like to do and the type of equipment you want in the future. You may decide you simply love the 25g and focus on that, and that sounds great also. As others said you can achieve the same results and for the most part you don’t need to make it complicated unless you want it complicated.

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32 bio cube but next small tank build I going with a jbj or red sea tank the bio cube was a mistake
31817cff-17ea-41b2-a6c7-2950ef0668e1.jpg

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not like the biocube?
No lights are no powerful for most corals I wanted so I take the top off bought a 200 AI Prime big return pump change the hole filter system bio cube is great for fish only add some mushrooms and zoe's lower light corals

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back