I need help!!

ilovehorses52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so we have a niger trigger and he seems to have some mystery illness that we just can't get rid of. We've done freshwater dipping and it seemed to get rid of it for a week or so but then it just kept coming back. Nitrates, nitrites, ph, gh, ammonia ect is all normal Can you help!?!

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so we have a niger trigger and he seems to have some mystery illness that we just can't get rid of. We've done freshwater dipping and it seemed to get rid of it for a week or so but then it just kept coming back. Nitrates, nitrites, ph, gh, ammonia ect is all normal Can you help!?!
After you’ve read the link provided and given us some more background information (a short video would help) what you are seeing is pretty common with fluke infections - the freshwater dips removes most of the flukes, but the fish gets reinfected when it is returned to the tank.

Jay

OP
OP
ilovehorses52

ilovehorses52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's in a 125 gallon tank with a lipstick tang and she seems to be just fine. Tank has been up and running for 4-5 years now. I can get some pictures after i'm done at school. If returning him to the tank is getting him sick again what should we do?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He's in a 125 gallon tank with a lipstick tang and she seems to be just fine. Tank has been up and running for 4-5 years now. I can get some pictures after i'm done at school. If returning him to the tank is getting him sick again what should we do?
Nigers are susceptible to velvet as well as flukes. Mine has been exposed to velvet but rebounded quickly. Responding to freshwater dipping may very well be flukes. You state mystery illness, , , , , Define mystery with types of behaviors.
You stated water was fine. What numbers can you provide for ammonia-ph-nitrate-salinity and with what kits are you testing with ?
With velvet, you will see fish hanging around the front of powerhead, rapid breathing, loss of appetite, lethargic behavior and swimming at the surface.
With flukes, you will have noticed also trigger acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color
If these fit behaviors youve seen respond back to @Jay Hemdal who you started working with and come to conclusion

OP
OP
ilovehorses52

ilovehorses52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did have cloudy eyes, darting back and fourth, he seemed really agitated, he's laying around a lot more than he usually does. I will provide numbers of the stuff later tonight. I'm using the api saltwater master test kit

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He did have cloudy eyes, darting back and fourth, he seemed really agitated, he's laying around a lot more than he usually does. I will provide numbers of the stuff later tonight. I'm using the api saltwater master test kit
This is leading to flukes which would make sense with the response to FW dip.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose the entire tank with Prazipro, with good aeration, two times, 8 or 9 days apart. The idea is to time it do the second dose kills any new flukes hatching from eggs, but before they have time to lay their own eggs. It often takes 3 treatments though.
Different species of fish can get different flukes, so having one species in a tank have symptoms while another dies not is pretty common.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back