OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are glad you have returned and I am praying you follow through with the rip clean renovation. Turning the tank from chore to clean and beautiful will make you and us proud that you stuck it out. Lot of us fight through issues and the tanks can become a source of great satisfaction but you have to decide your course and take care of yourself and the tank, whatever works best for you. Glad you have returned, fixing it will be work with a reward. Go for it!
fish corgi GIF
Heres my plan on the rip clean this weekend

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are multiple ways to do this but I am still thinking you can do this without ripping it down to nothing and starting over, water changes and removing one rock at a time etc as previously stated will work but that is my two cents. I have been fighting algea also and took me 6 months and I am finally winning. I do think with such a minimal bio-load I might rip it down but I would pull the rock and clean not pull the livestock.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been inactive here for a few months. A few months ago I was constantly asking for help getting rid of algae.

I've returned because I dont know what to do. I need help getting rid of the algae in my tank.

I've asked this a million times here. Others have too. I've done my research. I've read through other threads. But I need your help one last time.

Due to personal matters, my tank was on the bottom of the chore list for a while. I neglected it. Only topping off water and feeding the fish since November. I recently tested the water and the water condition is fine. No fish losses ever. I disabled the white lights and use only the blue for less algae growth. The algae isnt going away.

Its overgrown and killed all the corals I had in my tank. We were quite attached to them.
All my fish and arthropods are fine. The snails of course keep falling when they graze rocks from an angle, and there were one or two deaths when they fell in the back of the tank.

Its gotten to the point that my parents are threatening to sell the tank by summer if it doesn't look like the tanks in the local saltwater aquarium store, with picturesque corals and aquascapes. I don't blame them. I just want to keep the fish ive grown so attached to. But no matter what I try I cant get rid of the algae. I need my tank to be beautiful by June in order to keep my tank. Ive had it for 2 years now. Theres been algae for a year now - but it hasnt been this bad yet

Recently ive been plucking the algae off the rocks and did a few water changes and sand clean-up but nothing helps.
The algae is slimy - at first it was mostly gha that was taking over the tank but its "evolved" - first, there was a bit of red cyano bacteria showing up on the rocks - and now, (and it has been like this for 2 months) it is mixed in with the GHA and the algae itself is slimy and under white light, red. I can attempt to get photographs later if you need any

I would appreciate any ideas. I cant do a rip clean i simply dont have the time, and I have rocks I cant remove because they are homes to animals that cant move. I have a feather duster glued to a rock, and one of my fish lives under a rock that his pistol shrimp dug (the shrimp is now dead)

TLDR: I need my tank rid of algae and looking good by June or my 2 year old tank i am very attached to will be sold

Thank you all. I appreciate your help you have given me in the past.
Have you looked into fluconazole?
If you cannot take all the rocks out- remove as much as you can by hand, then do a significant water change to remove the extra bits floating around.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been inactive here for a few months. A few months ago I was constantly asking for help getting rid of algae.

I've returned because I dont know what to do. I need help getting rid of the algae in my tank.

I've asked this a million times here. Others have too. I've done my research. I've read through other threads. But I need your help one last time.

Due to personal matters, my tank was on the bottom of the chore list for a while. I neglected it. Only topping off water and feeding the fish since November. I recently tested the water and the water condition is fine. No fish losses ever. I disabled the white lights and use only the blue for less algae growth. The algae isnt going away.

Its overgrown and killed all the corals I had in my tank. We were quite attached to them.
All my fish and arthropods are fine. The snails of course keep falling when they graze rocks from an angle, and there were one or two deaths when they fell in the back of the tank.

Its gotten to the point that my parents are threatening to sell the tank by summer if it doesn't look like the tanks in the local saltwater aquarium store, with picturesque corals and aquascapes. I don't blame them. I just want to keep the fish ive grown so attached to. But no matter what I try I cant get rid of the algae. I need my tank to be beautiful by June in order to keep my tank. Ive had it for 2 years now. Theres been algae for a year now - but it hasnt been this bad yet

Recently ive been plucking the algae off the rocks and did a few water changes and sand clean-up but nothing helps.
The algae is slimy - at first it was mostly gha that was taking over the tank but its "evolved" - first, there was a bit of red cyano bacteria showing up on the rocks - and now, (and it has been like this for 2 months) it is mixed in with the GHA and the algae itself is slimy and under white light, red. I can attempt to get photographs later if you need any

I would appreciate any ideas. I cant do a rip clean i simply dont have the time, and I have rocks I cant remove because they are homes to animals that cant move. I have a feather duster glued to a rock, and one of my fish lives under a rock that his pistol shrimp dug (the shrimp is now dead)

TLDR: I need my tank rid of algae and looking good by June or my 2 year old tank i am very attached to will be sold

Thank you all. I appreciate your help you have given me in the past.
So I also have a 65 gallon tank that I am battling GHA in (As well as Bryopsis). Now, this isn't a permanent fix but what it can do is "trick" your parents since they'll see how much better it'll suddenly look. I agee in that taking all the rocks out and scrubbing them is the most effective method (it'll still grow back if you don't get your parameters in check) but this does take a long time (I've done it a few times), a relatively quick way to at a minimum make it look significantly better is to take a 1/4" or so hose and siphon water while pinching the algae with the hose and your fingers so that the algae gets sucked into a bucket rather than floating around the tank. You can remove quite a large amount of algae very quickly this way and it'll at least appear to be significantly better- at least long enough to buy yourself some more time. I'd like to know how your progress with this tank is going.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back