I need input on flow

chasingcorals17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Below is my 75 gallon mixed reef that I’ve had running for a year, with most livestock and corals coming from a previous tank. Recently I decided I need more rock to attach new corals to so I added some shelving which you can see being the bright white rocks with no growth on them.

However I’ve now realized the rock work really doesn’t leave any room between it and the back wall.

I have a gyre on the top right side of the tank with a little jebao to aid it and on the left side of the tank I have a bigger Jebao.

My question would be do you think I need to rethink my flow pattern now? I know consistency is key and changing things is a big no no. My corals have really grown in the past 4 months. Like exploded. So I’m hesitant to change things but I also feel that I could increase flow to the back of the rockwork so I don’t get buildup down the road, as well as increase flow to the acros that will be up top.

Or maybe you think the tank looks good and to keep things how they are and not worry. Which I would also appreciate :)

IMG_4286.jpeg IMG_4287.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if everything is growing and happy, don't change anything!!!

The pumps you have should create enough current to prevent settling. If you get isolated spots of settlement, no need to change the flow that keeps all your corals happy - just hit it with a turkey baster once a week or so!

OP
OP
C

chasingcorals17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if everything is growing and happy, don't change anything!!!

The pumps you have should create enough current to prevent settling. If you get isolated spots of settlement, no need to change the flow that keeps all your corals happy - just hit it with a turkey baster once a week or so!
That’s true. I just know I’ll forget to use the turkey baster lol. I usually shut off all flow for feeding so that’s at least a plus in regards to waste buildup

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true. I just know I’ll forget to use the turkey baster lol. I usually shut off all flow for feeding so that’s at least a plus in regards to waste buildup
I actually enjoy my weekly basting, it’s a little bit of zen time like trimming a bonsai or something :grinning-squinting-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back