I need new RO/DI filters.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75gpd 5 stage RO/DI filter and I am thinking it is time to replace the filters. It has only been 4 years since I replaced my filters and my RO/DI water is testing at 4ppm TDS now so I think it is time to change them out. I don't remember what I got last time nor do I remember where I got them from. So with it being a long weekend and lots of online vendors are having sales I am thinking of purchasing new one's. What does everyone recommend and where should I buy them?

I do have some of the DI beads left, I bought them in bulk last time. I thought I read somewhere that they don't have a very long shelf life?

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with Bulk Reef Supply personally. The DI Resin should last a couple of years if stored properly. If it's been 4 years, I would get new stuff. I don't see how you can 4 years without replacing filters...lol. I change all on mine once per year and change my DI (color changing) resin every 6 months as it's exhausted. You must have pretty clean water coming into the house!

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got the BRS filters last time, the DI resin is supposedly the color change type but it never changed colors. I have stored it out in my root room so it has been in a cool dry climate.

Honestly I successfully ran my tank with clams and SPS for years before getting a RO/DI filter, I just used tap water. I am on a community water system and we get our water out of the head waters of one of the near by rivers.

Thanks Alex, I'll give those filters a look.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the Filter Guys. Great products and excellent customer service. Some of the best in the business. I've known Jim for about ten years now and he'll take the time to make sure you get exactly what you need.

The Filter Guys

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with BRS filters but they aren't the only good filters out there....I say go with the best price you can find on high quality replacements

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spectrapure are awesome! if your old filters lasted that long these will last even longer!!

Untitled Document

+1

I love spectrapure. They mix their DI resins just before shipping to you. This means your resin is fresh and hasn't been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long.

I would go with:

Deluxe Pre-Filter Kit (0.5 uM) $32
MAXCAP DI Cartridge Replacement Kit $49
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]90 Gallon Per Day RO Membrane $35
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
You get what you pay for.

the larger the micron in your sediment and carbon filters the shorter the lifespan the ro-membrane and di resin have. Go with a .5 micron max of a 1 micron.

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the CSPDI Filter Replacement Kit on sale here:
Untitled Document

It includes a 0.5 micron absolute rated prefilter, a 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon carbon block and a 20 oz SilicBuster DI cartridge. They don't come any better.

Catalytic carbons or two carbon of any type are a waste of money and also cause additional unneeded pressure drop to the RO membrane. All the hype about catalytic carbon and chloramines is a bunch of hot air intended to sell something to the uninformed. Chloramines are no big deal to remove but its actually the DI resin you need to pay the most attention to, not the carbon. The chlorine portion is easy to remove with any good grade carbon but the ammonia is a problem for all but the best DI resins. The SilicaBuster is specifically designed to work on ammonia.

The 90 GPD Spectrapure membrane actually starts life as a 75 GPD Dow Filmtec which is specially treated to increase its performance then tested either individually with their Select Series or in batches for their non-select and sealed wet in a mylar foil bag to stay fresh. The flow restrictor for a 75 will work for the 90 but I would swap it out for Spectrapures capillary tube type you yourself trim for your exact water conditions for an exact waste ratio not ballpark like others.

If you now have two carbons I would spend 10 minutes and replumb the empty second carbon canister into a second DI canister and install a MaxCap DI in the first and the SilicaBuster in the second for best DI life and true 18.2 megaohm DI water.

You will not find better filters anywhere and you certainly won't find 0.5 micron absolute rated filters at Bulk Reef. I love their chemicals and buy from them but they are not experts on RO/DI nor have they been around for over 25 years in the industry and reeef hobby.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back