I need some experts & experience help :(

Reef_dachs

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2020
Messages
102
Reaction score
116
Location
Eastern NC Coast
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dealing with something in my tank that I can’t identify. It looks similar to GHA but is white. It flows similar to GHA & comes off objects easily with a toothbrush.
It is invading my tank and is killing my corals. It appears to creep up the base of the skeleton and maybe suffocate the polyp head.
It’s killing corals I’ve had for years and very hardy corals like my Duncan & Trumpets.
I originally thought it was some type of sponge when it was only in the rock work but as it’s grown I’m thinking maybe it’s some type of bacterial infection or growth?

I am currently doing (2) 10% water changes as that seems to help for a few days.
Current parameters are below and they typically stay in this range on my weekly tests.

Alk - 8.7
Mag - 1350
Ca - 430
Salinity- 1.026
Temp 77
P04 - .16
N03 - 8.4

In the pics you can see the growth I’m referring to and where it has started to kill the coral bases. All the corals appear to die from the rim of the head first.

The tank is mixed reef, 130 gallons & 4 years old.

IMG_8128.jpeg IMG_8115.jpeg IMG_8118.jpeg IMG_8116.jpeg IMG_8117.jpeg IMG_8119.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Not seeing anything out of the ordinary or particularly onerous. What’s the issue?
 
Could the corals have been receded already and algae is just taking advantage of the open spaces?
No, this literally happens quickly.
Once I notice the coral isn’t opening fully it takes about 2 days for it to die off.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new