Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
how are you reefers ?
i want to build a new sump for my tank
sump will hold 3 different tanks
total around 160G without sump

but what design should i use ?
also for the filter roller it won't work with this setup right ?
any idea of what can i make and the prefect size ?
i have space for 60" * 20" * 30"

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jmo If you have room for a 60" sump tank ,, make your sump tank 60" ,, make it about 18" tall ,, make it as wide as you have space for ,, I would put 3 large filter socks onto it ,, make the skimmer section as big as you need to fit the skimmer you are going to use ,, put a set of baffles between the skimmer section and the return section ,, make your return section with the space you have left ,, you can fill it with rock or Bio Sphears ,, adding this rock or what ever into the sump jmo :) means you don't have to add baffles before the return pump ,, baffles take up space :) the rock or whatever will bust up any bubbles before they make it over to your return pump ,, put a manifold system on your return pump with 3 or 4 outlets on it ,,

I like to use as large of a sump tank as I have room for :)

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi oceanic 110 gall,acrylic 115, 60x21x18,design self

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jmo If you have room for a 60" sump tank ,, make your sump tank 60" ,, make it about 18" tall ,, make it as wide as you have space for ,, I would put 3 large filter socks onto it ,, make the skimmer section as big as you need to fit the skimmer you are going to use ,, put a set of baffles between the skimmer section and the return section ,, make your return section with the space you have left ,, you can fill it with rock or Bio Sphears ,, adding this rock or what ever into the sump jmo :) means you don't have to add baffles before the return pump ,, baffles take up space :) the rock or whatever will bust up any bubbles before they make it over to your return pump ,, put a manifold system on your return pump with 3 or 4 outlets on it ,,

I like to use as large of a sump tank as I have room for :)

oky great
so less baffles is better and open space
what about filter roller dose it work with 3 diffent return ? or i need to buy 3 rollers ?

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used a roller thing lol I would never use one ,, but that's just a me thing :) I like tried and true ,, a roller thing sounds like more un needed work to me ,, I can be doing other chores on my system instead of messing with a roller thing ,, Look at trigger sumps ,, look at their designs ,, it will give you a good idea on how to make your sump tank ,, Baffles aren't bad ,, you need a set between the skimmer section and the return section ,,, you just don't need a set before the return pump on a 60" sump tank ,, for standard size display tanks ,, now if you were setting a big display tank ,, I would say something different ,,

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing ,,, baffle height ,, now this is jmo ,, you need to see what the operating depth for your skimmer is ,, if it says something like 7" to 9" make the baffle height 10" ,, you can always put a skimmer stand under your skimmer ,, till you get it set at its best operating height ,, doing this will allow you to have more total water volume in your system ,, thats always a good thing ,, what you have to keep in mind ,, is the total height of your sump tank ,, you want to have enough height ,, so if you lose power ,,, all 3 tanks won't over fill your sump tank ,, I would make the height of you sump tank as high as you can ,, and still be able to remove the skimmer ,, 1 inch to tall is better than 1" to short ,,

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen a fish store on here with a roller that was as wide as the sump. I suppose it was a commercial unit so look around, pentair aquatics should have something. Then build your sump to accommodate what ever you decide using.
I would place a barrier/baffle with a sponge to prevent chaeto from getting sucked into the skimmer or return.

OP
OP
nmo0ory

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen a fish store on here with a roller that was as wide as the sump. I suppose it was a commercial unit so look around, pentair aquatics should have something. Then build your sump to accommodate what ever you decide using.
I would place a barrier/baffle with a sponge to prevent chaeto from getting sucked into the skimmer or return.

ok nice i will look on to it

One more thing ,,, baffle height ,, now this is jmo ,, you need to see what the operating depth for your skimmer is ,, if it says something like 7" to 9" make the baffle height 10" ,, you can always put a skimmer stand under your skimmer ,, till you get it set at its best operating height ,, doing this will allow you to have more total water volume in your system ,, thats always a good thing ,, what you have to keep in mind ,, is the total height of your sump tank ,, you want to have enough height ,, so if you lose power ,,, all 3 tanks won't over fill your sump tank ,, I would make the height of you sump tank as high as you can ,, and still be able to remove the skimmer ,, 1 inch to tall is better than 1" to short ,,

ok great
i will have display tank
its 1 display tank
2 frag tank
now i have the display tank and frag tank connected already together
but i have a new 70g frag tank i love frags :p so for that i want to change to bigger sump
also i will hold more than 3 pumps i am planing to do some close loop as well

trigger system are amazing but they do it with acrylic i will make it with glass
but if i think about acrylic what is the thickness of acrylic ? 4mm or 6mm will do ?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trigger system are amazing but they do it with acrylic i will make it with glass
but if i think about acrylic what is the thickness of acrylic ? 4mm or 6mm will do ?
Check out the DIY/Acrylic forum, those folks can help with that

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only mentioned Trigger sumps because they have a lot of designs you can look at to get ideas for the lay out of your sump tank ,, you keep adding stuff to your wish list ,, 3 pumps and a closed loop :) adding this stuff "after the fact " changes my advice lol

This is just a me thing lol but if it were me ,, with your wish list ,, the system you want to have set up ,, what I would do :) This does't sound like your are planning to be ,, in the hobby today and out of the hobby tomorrow ,, if your going to do this :)

I would have a acrylic sump made ,, my 60" sump tank was ordered from Advanced Acrylic's ,, it was for a 60x30x20 display tank ,, wasn't cheap ,, but its a once and done thing , quality built ,, I am old ,, when I am gone ,, my friends will be fighting for this sump tank :)

I would seriously think about a external return pump also ,, I have never had one ,, I can't guide you to a quality pump ,, others can though :)

With plumbing to 3 tanks plus the closed loop ,, my thinking is a external pump would be the way to go ,, other may disagree though :)

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably not what your looking for , but I have the same sized system but with tree tanks 1 sump, I took a cheap 40 breeder and threw my rs-75 into it , thats the filters. ect. then I drilled a 2" hole @ 9" in the return pump section so it flows into the 40 @9" for skimmer height. Skimmer is in that section ( 40b) with the three return pumps and ATO and would fit your roller easily. Works perfect going on 4 years and when all tanks are off the excess fills the 40 to about 4 " below the top . Its a sump in a sump .Super fancy gear and sumps wont grow your coral any better , I would go for the best bang for your buck especially if its not visible. Spend the big money on big coral you can see in the tank , not crap under the cabinet .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back