OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually a common misconception. Thanks to the magic of evaporative cooling, it's possible to cool the tank 4-5 degrees below ambient temperature, and if your air is dry actually cool your room too! It's the same effect that makes swamp coolers work.

More info; http://spec-tanks.com/using-a-fan-to-cool-your-aquarium-does-it-work/

I 3D printed a dual PC fan mount for my tank and it can cool 50 gallons a full degree in about 10 minutes. Keeps it under 81 even in the summer.
I cant say anything about there being a misconception. But I do can say that evaporation has a very cooling effective power. If you want to feel the cooling power of evaporation, jump in the pool then stand in the wind. As water evaporates it gets very cold. Awesome.

I was able to find a USB fan, couldn't find the 3D printed though.

I could use your file to print me a fan fixture...PC fans are cheap and I can get them. Do you have the files posted somewhere? That would be great, thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question op, why do you want to keep tank Temps at 72? Unless you have cold water species 80-82 is just fine if kept in that range.
Did I say 72? Im sorry, I want 76.

Not only would I like to keep it running lower than it is in room temperature with all the essential gear, I would also like to keep it stable.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I say 72? Im sorry, I want 76.

Not only I would like to keep it lower than it is, I would like to keep it stable.
Go the opposite way, raise your temperature to keep it stable. Raise it to 80 so you only get a 1 degree swing.

Easy Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever set your temp to 76º? I bet your fan would be on 50-50 and you would have to deal with evaporation.

I say that because I can get stable within 79º here, which is room temperature+motors (remember I got 4 motors in the water full-time + 2 powerheads I turn on occasionally when the temperature is a bit lower than usual and it allows for a little extra heat). So Im curious if you could keep it as low as 76.
I’ve never tried to keep it at 76 before so I’m not sure. And just curious what is your 4 motors ? The heater, pump , wavemaker?

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go the opposite way, raise your temperature to keep it stable. Raise it to 80 so you only get a 1 degree swing.
It sure would make my life a lot easier!

This marine biologist friend of mine that works in the business told me to keep it at 76. There's so much misinformation that I stuck with him.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tried to keep it at 76 before so I’m not sure. And just curious what is your 4 motors ? The heater, pump , wavemaker?
Try and see if your fan goes crazy.

Full time on:
Fluval Heater
Cobalt MJ600 Return pump
Fluval Protein skimmer
Cheap mini 110v refugium pump (could generate more heat than a larger one)

Ocasionally:
Hydor Koralia 240 circulation pump
CurrentUSA eFlux 660 wave pump

This gave me an idea. I think I'm gonna print a splitter for the return pump to share it with the refugium, that way I get one motor out of the water. That could be a 25% or more reduction of the heat source.

Thanks!!

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This marine biologist friend of mine that works in the business told me to keep it at 76. There's so much misinformation that I stuck with him.
Natural reefs don't have a chiller, corals in the wild usually start bleaching at around 86 and natural temperatures range from 72-84,the reason we keep our tanks at 78 is because it's a happy medium. No ill effects will come from keeping your tank at 80 degrees 100% guaranteed unless you have cold water species. My tank currently is sitting at 79.9 and everyone is happy.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural reefs don't have a chiller, corals in the wild usually start bleaching at around 86 and natural temperatures range from 72-84,the reason we keep our tanks at 78 is because it's a happy medium. No ill effects will come from keeping your tank at 80 degrees 100% guaranteed unless you have cold water species. My tank currently is sitting at 79.9 and everyone is happy.
Best news ever.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried this but heard they really work well...

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea your friend is probably the same kind of marine biologist that tell us that 1c increase in the reefs around the world is going to wipe out all life.

Check out the average normal temperatures in the great barrier reef. Theyre usually always 80f on average when theyre healthy.

My tank runs 82f constantly just fine.. and 84f if i habe my pc on and im gaming. I sweat in my bedroom it can get so hot. It hasnt done jack shiat to my corals.

Firm believer that corals are bleaching due to pollution in the wild more then temperatures

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea your friend is probably the same kind of marine biologist that tell us that 1c increase in the reefs around the world is going to wipe out all life.

Check out the average normal temperatures in the great barrier reef. Theyre usually always 80f on average when theyre healthy.

My tank runs 82f constantly just fine.. and 84f if i habe my pc on and im gaming. I sweat in my bedroom it can get so hot. It hasnt done jack shiat to my corals.

Firm believer that corals are bleaching due to pollution in the wild more then temperatures
No joke 72-84
4485567.jpg

@op here is how I manage the temperature of my nano, recently answered that in another thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/equipment-to-cool-down-a-tank.723071/post-7515060

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check out the average normal temperatures in the great barrier reef.
Not really, he was quite laid back. Told me to take it as naturally as possible, meaning no overdoing, specially with chemicals and stuff. He said, "if you keep adding chemicals you're making a bomb". That was a good one, regardless of veracity.

I don't know what's going on with the corals in the wild (pardon my ignorance). I hope were not screwing things up for a change but I'm sure we are.

In my opinion, there are so many different things going on in the barrier reef that I dont know if you can compare to a tiny closed system. Of course you can pull out a probe at any given point over there and stick with that, but things are always changing and are so dramatically changing that it actually gives it a balance. Cold water meets warm water, waves and wind transport so many things, theres the sun, clouds, rain, currents coming and going everywhere. If you held your probe out and moved slowly from the surface down to the deep the temperature would drop at a constant rate but would also suffer abrupt small changes along the way. Life around you would also dramatically change.

I don't know, I'm talking out of my butt, but thats the feeling I get when I dive.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to keep the temp at 76. Let it run to 78-80. I ran my 20 gallon sps at 82-83 years ago because it had a halide.
my current tank averages 79.3 or so.

F6945ED5-D6BB-4FBE-B543-0E2E9D26DB91.png

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, he was quite laid back. Told me to take it as naturally as possible, meaning no overdoing, specially with chemicals and stuff. He said, "if you keep adding chemicals you're making a bomb". That was a good one, regardless of veracity.

I don't know what's going on with the corals in the wild (pardon my ignorance). I hope were not screwing things up for a change but I'm sure we are.

In my opinion, there are so many different things going on in the barrier reef that I dont know if you can compare to a tiny closed system. Of course you can pull out a probe at any given point over there and stick with that, but things are always changing and are so dramatically changing that it actually gives it a balance. Cold water meets warm water, waves and wind transport so many things, theres the sun, clouds, rain, currents coming and going everywhere. If you held your probe out and moved slowly from the surface down to the deep the temperature would drop at a constant rate but would also suffer abrupt small changes along the way. Life around you would also dramatically change.

I don't know, I'm talking out of my butt, but thats the feeling I get when I dive.

Still firmy believe its pollution.. fukashima for example.. in 2011.. that nuclear plant is STILL leaking radioactive water in the pacific.. but everyone has forgot about it in the world.. The hush hush.. isnt news worth reporting anymore. Theyre also planning to dump tens of millions if gallons of partially treated water into the oceon because theyre running out of storage of pumped water from the leaking basements

5+ years ago the beachs of california. Oregon. Washington state all started having measurable levels of cesium 137 in the water.. that was 5 years ago.. imagine how it is now. So anyone who swims on the pacific west coast is getting a lovely dose of radioactive ocean water.

The seaurchins are all dying off. Sealions are dying off. Things have changed since 2011 happend. And like i said those plants are still leaking highely radioactive water into the ocean.

Dont even get me on the pollution india and china spew into the indian ocean and china sea. Look at the pics of their rivers and streams. Some are actual sewers... some are blood bright red from dyes. From factories.. this is all going into the ocean.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still firmy believe its pollution.. fukashima for example.. in 2011.. that nuclear plant is STILL leaking radioactive water in the pacific.. but everyone has forgot about it in the world.. The hush hush.. isnt news worth reporting anymore. Theyre also planning to dump tens of millions if gallons of partially treated water into the oceon because theyre running out of storage of pumped water from the leaking basements

5+ years ago the beachs of california. Oregon. Washington state all habe measurable levels of cesium 137 in the water now. So anyone who swims on the pacific west coast is getting a lovely dose of radioactive ocean water.

The seaurchins are all dying off. Sealions are dying off. Things have changed since 2011 happend. And like i said those plants are still leaking highely radioactive water into the ocean.

Dont even get me on the pollution india and china spew into the indian ocean and china sea. Look at the pics of their rivers and streams. Some are actual sewers... some are blood bright red from dyes. From factories.. this is all going into the ocean.
Aw man I swim in SoCal beaches all the time, am I going to grow a 3rd arm?

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw man I swim in SoCal beaches all the time, am I going to grow a 3rd arm?

No but in 10 years or so dont be surpised if you get thyroid or lymphoma cancer from the cesium in the water. Even the wine.fruits. cheese.. the ground.grass in california all got cesium 137 from the explosions of the plants.

You could take heppa filters and measure higher then background radiation in the filter pads lol.. look all this up and get informed instead of living oblivious

Cancer rates have already increased. You think its funny but it isnt. Obama and the EPA wuietly raised the (safe levels) of cesium exposure for crying out loud.

Cesium exposire isnt safe bte.. omce it gets in your body it stays there until its half life is gone in 37+ years

Plunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano 13.5 reef tank. The water is always above the ideal 76º I want. The heater is set much lower just to rule it out as one of the possible causes for my high temperature, which is always around 80, so it probably never operates.

I understand that the ratio of equipment running underwater versus the amount of water is why the temperature is high, the motors give off heat and theres not enough water to dissipate fast enough. I have a protein skimmer, a surface skimmer, a return pump and a small pump for my tiny refugium running full time underwater. I also have two powerheads I eventually turn on for brief moments as they also have a motor under the water and will cook my fish if I leave them on.

In fact, I just cooked my Pederson shrimp...geez, that sucks, I loved that guy.

I'd like tips to reduce the water temperature. I think a chiller wouldn't be worth it for such a small tank. Maybe this is one for the nano tankers out there.

I do resist on buying an expensive MP10 for such a small tank since their motor hangs outside because the temperature is over 80º without powerheads running.

Am I guessing maybe the Fluval 13.5g tank? If it is, I'm having the same issue. Honestly, love the tank but the heat displacement from the light is abysmal. I looked into maybe crafting something, however, it seemed like more work. I ended up just buying the AI Prime 16 HD light. The combination between the light, worthless heatsink no fan, and the lid is causing excessive heating issues. It's a great design, but those elements need improvement. The best, season round, without the need for a chiller is just placing aquarium away from possible direct or indirect light sources. Remove the lid from the tank so it can breathe and keep a light a maximum of 4 inches from the waterline (for LEDs and depends on the depth of the tank). Some houses collect heat in certain areas more than others, someone should take this into consideration. But in the end, I think the heat spikes in the summer won't be as intense. Those improvements alone should decrease your current temps by 2 degrees F. At least that's my guess.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but in 10 years or so dont be surpised if you get thyroid or lymphoma cancer from the cesium in the water. Even the wine.fruits. cheese.. the ground.grass in california all got cesium 137 from the explosions of the plants.

You could take heppa filters and measure higher then background radiation in the filter pads lol.. look all this up and get informed instead of living oblivious

Cancer rates have already increased. You think its funny but it isnt. Obama and the EPA wuietly raised the (safe levels) of cesium exposure for crying out loud.

Cesium exposire isnt safe bte.. omce it gets in your body it stays there until its half life is gone in 37+ years
Well since I'm pretty screwed anyway, gonna go for a swim now that the beaches are opening back up

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back