I need tips to cool the water

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano 13.5 reef tank. The water is always above the ideal 76º I want. The heater is set much lower just to rule it out as one of the possible causes for my high temperature, which is always around 80, so it probably never operates.

I understand that the ratio of equipment running underwater versus the amount of water is why the temperature is high, the motors give off heat and theres not enough water to dissipate fast enough. I have a protein skimmer, a surface skimmer, a return pump and a small pump for my tiny refugium running full time underwater. I also have two powerheads I eventually turn on for brief moments as they also have a motor under the water and will cook my fish if I leave them on.

In fact, I just cooked my Pederson shrimp...geez, that sucks, I loved that guy.

I'd like tips to reduce the water temperature. I think a chiller wouldn't be worth it for such a small tank. Maybe this is one for the nano tankers out there.

I do resist on buying an expensive MP10 for such a small tank since their motor hangs outside because the temperature is over 80º without powerheads running.

Last edited:

Reeferstin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano 13.5 reef tank. The water is always above the ideal 76º I want. The heater is set much lower just to rule it out as one of the possible causes for my high temperature, which is always around 80, so it probably never operates.

I understand that the ratio of equipment running underwater versus the amount of water is why the temperature is high, the motors give off heat and theres not enough water to dissipate fast enough. I have a protein skimmer, a surface skimmer, a return pump and a small pump for my tiny refugium running full time underwater. I also have two powerheads I eventually turn on for brief moments as they also have a motor under the water and will cook my fish if I leave them on.

In fact, I just cooked my Pederson shrimp...geez, that sucks, I loved that guy.

I'd like tips to reduce the water temperature. I think a chiller wouldn't be worth it for such a small tank. Maybe this is one for the nano tankers out there.

I do resist on buying an expensive MP10 for such a small tank, even because the temperature is over 80º without powerheads running.
Buy a fan point it right over the water just going to evaporate more but will be 3/4 degrees cooler if you have a lid try removing half

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Inkbird controller (ITC-308S) with heating and cooling plugs.

Heater turns on when temp < 78, off at 79.
Clip on fan turns on when temp > 79, off at 78.

Hold on, I think I got one of these...let me look for it and see if its the same model as I remember they have different models.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s a tunze fan that clips on to a tank.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s a tunze fan that clips on to a tank.

Answered my question before I even asked...kkk

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that a typo, you said your heater is set to 80.

I run several tanks in rooms in my house that get quite warm. 1st, get a temp controller, the inkbird type have a heating and cooling application. If you are going to use fans, which do work very well, you will need an ato because of evaporation. In a tank that small evaporation could give you dangerous swings in sg without an ato. If you can figure out how/where to use it, the iceprobe chillers work really well for small tanks. I use a combo of an iceprobe and fan on my small tanks, and fans on my larger tanks; with this I can get a 8 to 9 degree drop from ambient temperature.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think it would be pretty much impossible to get your water temperature lower than your room temperature without a chiller.
Absolutely makes sense.

But still, seems its still too hot to reach room temperature, which at a constant 77º would be excellent. I must bring it down to at least room temp.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think it would be pretty much impossible to get your water temperature lower than your room temperature without a chiller.
^ this

you are trying to get the water colder than in the room... a fan will help, but only a chiller will get you below 77

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that a typo, you said your heater is set to 80.

I run several tanks in rooms in my house that get quite warm. 1st, get a temp controller, the inkbird type have a heating and cooling application. If you are going to use fans, which do work very well, you will need an ato because of evaporation. In a tank that small evaporation could give you dangerous swings in sg without an ato. If you can figure out how/where to use it, the iceprobe chillers work really well for small tanks. I use a combo of an iceprobe and fan on my small tanks, and fans on my larger tanks; with this I can get a 8 to 9 degree drop from ambient temperature.
I'm sorry, that sentence is ambiguous. I meant that the temperature of the water is always around 80º, even though the heater is set to 72º. This way I rule it out as one of the possible contributors for the temperature elevation.

Amazing numbers, thanks. I will look into the product.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned everything off besides the Radion XR15 G5 and put ice in a bag in the water, brought it down from 81.7 to 80.2 in 20 minutes. I got other invertebrates that might be on the verge of cooking.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just had to turn up my air conditioner coz my tank hit 80F. I usually keep it at 76.
Can you explain howcome, since they carry the same amount of motors underwater?

Probably bigger motors yes, but proportionally the ratio of heat x dissipation is much, much higher. you increase the motors in size by 50-100% but increase the water from 13.5 to lets say, 100-150 maybe more? Thats an increase of up to approximately 1000%.

Unless you need more equipment underwater in a larger tank, I dont know.

Not trying to be obnoxious, just really curious. Like everyone else, my next tank is going to be as big as I can handle and this is a heads up.

Thanks

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back