Keeping fresh RODI water cool

Pablo1102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Deep South Texas and it gets pretty hot in the summer. How do you all keep your fresh RODI water at a decent temperature? I make my water outside and keep it circulating in a 32 gallon brute. It’s not even summer yet and my fresh water temperature is at around 93 degrees. Do I need to buy a chiller or is there another option out there that’s not as expensive? Thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it inside in your A/C house. They make dollies for brutes so you can wheel them around.

Edit: Also I keep 3ea gallon jugs in the garage freezer. In case of a power outage in the summer. Can keep my 600 gallon tank kool for a while if we loose A/C.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Deep South Texas and it gets pretty hot in the summer. How do you all keep your fresh RODI water at a decent temperature? I make my water outside and keep it circulating in a 32 gallon brute. It’s not even summer yet and my fresh water temperature is at around 93 degrees. Do I need to buy a chiller or is there another option out there that’s not as expensive? Thanks
Running water that's too hot through your RO membrane will damage it, or at least significantly reduce its working life. I'm in the Houston area and in the summer, hot water (sometimes too hot to touch at first) runs through my cold water pipes until the water that's been underground actually reaches the faucet (and even then it's not really "cold", but that only matters when trying to wash lettuce ;) ). I disconnect my RODI from the water line (actually it's tee'd off and I close the valve) and run the water until it's cool enough to not damage any of the filters before letting the water run through the unit... I would never keep my RODI unit outside, or even in the garage.

As for how to cool 93 degree water, the best idea I have is to add some frozen bottles of water to the container... But it will take a lot to get 30 gallons to drop 15 degrees.

OP
OP
Pablo1102

Pablo1102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running water that's too hot through your RO membrane will damage it, or at least significantly reduce its working life. I'm in the Houston area and in the summer, hot water (sometimes too hot to touch at first) runs through my cold water pipes until the water that's been underground actually reaches the faucet (and even then it's not really "cold", but that only matters when trying to wash lettuce ;) ). I disconnect my RODI from the water line (actually it's tee'd off and I close the valve) and run the water until it's cool enough to not damage any of the filters before letting the water run through the unit... I would never keep my RODI unit outside, or even in the garage.

As for how to cool 93 degree water, the best idea I have is to add some frozen bottles of water to the container... But it will take a lot to get 30 gallons to drop 15 degrees.

I like that idea, maybe 3 or 4 two liter bottles. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back