OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae like that is usually a result of high phosphate and Nitrate. The problem you will find is that with that much green hair algae in the tank your test will show near 0 of these things because the algae is eating it up faster than you can test for it. You need to manually (by hand) remove as much as you can, then add some clean up crew to help. Look at inverts like turbo snails or urchins and algae eating fish appropriate for your tank size. Most of these won’t eat the algae when it’s as long as you have so manual removal is a must before these animals can help you out. At the same time, tackle the source of the nutrients and improve your export through your method of choice (skimmer, refugium, GFO (careful with this one), chemical means, etc). It will take a few months to get everything under control so don’t get discouraged, just keep up with the manual removal and nutrient management and you will win the battle.
Ok so manual removal every day or week? Also should I dose phosphate rx?

Sgolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone in this hobby went through algae issues. Do not be discouraged.

1) run your skimmer wet.
2) slow down any feeding
3) manually remove large algae clumps.
4) get a clean up crew. Turn the turbo snails loose.
5) start with more frequent water changes.
6) pic up b-ionic 2 part follow directions.
7) unless you have sps, lower lighting schedule.
8) yellow tank, kole tank, other algae foragers.

slowly it will improve. Like someone else here said, it could take a few months.

you could cycle out some infested live rock. Keep in the loop, but move to a covered container with a high flow pump to agitate.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so manual removal every day or week? Also should I dose phosphate rx?
Manual removal as often as is practical for you. I haven’t used phosphate rx but in your situation I’d certainly consider it. Just be careful when using stuff like that. Do it deliberately and for a limited time. You don’t want to completely strip all nutrients from your system or that green hair algae will just get replaced with dinoflagellates. You never want 0 nutrients, even though it’s likely you are falsely getting 0 from your test results right now due to uptake of the algae. Watch your tank and when you start winning the battle, wean yourself off the chemicals (if you choose to use them).

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I'm all set up. One more question though. Should I get a lawn mower a tang some mollies (acclimated to SW) or something else?

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I'm all set up. One more question though. Should I get a lawn mower a tang some mollies (acclimated to SW) or something else?
I would say yes you should get something. What you should get depends on your tank size and what’s already stocked in there. A big tang in a small, already heavily stocked tank might just make it harder to get your nutrients under control.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your lighting.....
Sunlight........ very bad
Old T5 lights........very bad
It may just be the pic, but I see yellow/reddish light and a big window near the tank,
Just checking...

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest asking in the Reef2Reef fish forum what techniques work best in these situations.
Ok
Check your lighting.....
Sunlight........ very bad
Old T5 lights........very bad
It may just be the pic, but I see yellow/reddish light and a big window near the tank,
Just checking...
I just got a new T-5 a month ago. I used to have an LED. Yes there is a window facing east that may be a problem I usually have it closed though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back