I need to have part of my basement floor jack hammered up. Do i need to worry about my tank.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a bad section of drain/sewer pipe under my basement floor that need jackhammered up and replaced. Problem is my 125 gallon tank is about 15-20 feet away. Do I need to worry about my tank while they jack hammer the floor?

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consult a structural engineer who should be involved anyway. If they can move an entire house from one place to another without it falling apart, you’ll probably be fine just having it rest on what is essentially a temporary support. But this is a situation where “probably“ doesn’t cut it. I’d make some calls.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, you should be fine if its on a finished slab.

Just cover the bejesus out of it to negate concrete dust from working its way in.
Like press seal saran wrap lol.

Chop saws make a ******* mess even with the water hooked up.

johnc_ct

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an engineer, but I would be VERY worried. If the floor is moving, its logical to think your tank will be moving and not necessarily only straight up.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a bad section of drain/sewer pipe under my basement floor that need jackhammered up and replaced. Problem is my 125 gallon tank is about 15-20 feet away. Do I need to worry about my tank while they jack hammer the floor?
At a minimum - dust, debris.... yep... that is bad. You will want to build something to box in the whole tank so no dust and such pollutes it but also to keep projectiles from hitting it. Maybe get some thick styrofoam panels and build around the whole thing (tape the seams up well). You can get those in 4 x 8 sheets at HD or Lowe's.
The secondary concern I would have would be vibration. Depending on how much is transferred, all sorts of things could happen. The least of which is freaked out inhabitants. The worst of which is failed joints in pipes or glass.
So sorry that you have to deal with this.... best of luck.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an engineer, but I would be VERY worried. If the floor is moving, its logical to think your tank will be moving and not necessarily only straight up.

This right here. Even a small change, less than a degree, could cause enough stress to cause the tank to fructure and possibly fail entirely. Isn’t worth the risk. Your tank weight is in excess of a thousand pounds.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had floor of my basement jack hammered about three years ago ... about 20 feet away from the tank, Do have a door with vented slats between the section of the basement so pout plastic over the door to help prevent any dust from migrating through to the tank. I could feel it vibrating ... but only slightly near the tank ... fish did not react too badly ... even settled down after the first 20 minutes (took about an forty) and everything was fine. Looking back, about the only thing I might have also done would be to dim the lights ... not off ... just turn them down. Maybe fool the fish into thinking it's just a bad distant storm! :rolleyes:

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing and repair or replacement of the pipe should be centralized to the area of the pipe and maybe 6" either side.
If its not in close proximity I wouldn't worry structure wise. If there is a way to make a room and sealing it off with plastic and venting it to the outside with a fan pushing air out you should be fine.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had floor of my basement jack hammered about three years ago ... about 20 feet away from the tank, Do have a door with vented slats between the section of the basement so pout plastic over the door to help prevent any dust from migrating through to the tank. I could feel it vibrating ... but only slightly near the tank ... fish did not react too badly ... even settled down after the first 20 minutes (took about an forty) and everything was fine. Looking back, about the only thing I might have also done would be to dim the lights ... not off ... just turn them down. Maybe fool the fish into thinking it's just a bad distant storm! :rolleyes:
This makes me feel a little better

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully they relief cut the slab then blast out the area to be removed rather than a sloppy jack hammered section where the pipe lies.
I'm assuming/hoping that they relief cut it. They know exactly where the bad pipe is. They ran a camera through my lines. And somehow were able to mark the bad section. Which is actually really close to the absent wall.

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will almost certainly cut the slab first, then jackhammer^^^ If they didn't there is a distinct possibility of a much larger crack forming, and them having to pay for foundation repair. It saves them money/risk to do it, so they will :)
Definitely ask and make sure though

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is in the basement on the same slab their breaking up? And the tank is 15+ feet away from the area that needs repair?

It will have no effect on your tank. Just cover it so dust doesn't get in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back