I overdosed on dKH buffer!!! Please help CURRENT dKH 25.0

ReefNuget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't paying attention and knocked over the bottle of Kent dkh buffer into my tank; and I tested my dkh, and it read at 25; please help.
I also tested my Ph right after, and it read at 8.2.
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO :eek:
I have 2 turbo snails and 2 clownfish 1 hairy mushroom, a frogspawn frag and a small bubble tip anemone, and green star polyps.
The green star polyps closed imidently I heard they are sensitive to alkalinity changes.

OP
OP
ReefNuget

ReefNuget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't paying attention and knocked over the bottle of Kent dkh buffer into my tank; and I tested my dkh, and it read at 25; please help.
I also tested my Ph right after, and it read at 8.2.
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO :eek:
I have 2 turbo snails and 2 clownfish 1 hairy mushroom, a frogspawn frag and a small bubble tip anemone, and green star polyps.
The green star polyps closed imidently I heard they are sensitive to alkalinity changes.
I'm about to do a 15% water change rn.

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, 25 dKh!! :eek:

Great call on the water change; however, your tank will likely require more than a 15% change. If it were me, I'd do a 50% water change and immediately re-test. After that, I'd space out another large water change (probably a series of 25% - 30% water changes over the next 3 days with daily testing to see if parameters have gotten closer to what your original tank parameters were at.

The 50% change may seem like a big change, but the new water will help dilute the overdose and help bring the params down for a quicker recovery.

Others out there may have better tips to help!

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I believe the BRS guys accidentlly did that in one of their tanks and theoretically their dKH went up to 40 (I dont remember if they actually tested it), so it's possible that you may be okay with just water changes and test it. I'd try to find that video from Bulk Reef Supply on youtube... look for alkalinity spike

OP
OP
ReefNuget

ReefNuget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You will do I will keep you updated, but how about the corals and anemone they aren't glued to anything should I move them in a bucket of new water or leave them they are mostly LPS and soft corals the ph is still at a safe level will the dKh effect them?

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You will do I will keep you updated, but how about the corals and anemone they aren't glued to anything should I move them in a bucket of new water or leave them they are mostly LPS and soft corals the ph is still at a safe level will the dKh effect them?
I'd leave them where they are at if you can do the water changes @Daniel recommended.

OP
OP
ReefNuget

ReefNuget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright
I was just concerned because my hairy mushroom coral shriveled so small I've never seen it that small.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back