fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't need an app for that…
An impassioned plea for local control.

So everything these days has an App... Great, right?

Sure, App control can be nice, but what happens when that device manufacturer decides to no longer support your App controlled device?

You lose control.

You lose your device.

This could be compared to physical media-less media.
When you do not physically own a media, you do not actually own a media.

If the house of mouse decides to change your Star Wars so that Han does not shoot Greedo first, then that is the only media that you can consume.
Your old media is no longer relevant as it no longer exists.

The trend towards App control without physical local control is rampant.

It looks clean and convenient on the surface.

The impact is far more detrimental than most perceive on first look.

Remember when you could turn your light on and it would turn on?

Remember when you wanted more control so you added a timer plug?

Remember when you had onboard controls that allowed you to ramp up and ramp down?

Remember when you had WiFi App control to set those settings from the convenience of your phone or computer?

Remember when you lost the local control? When you were forced to use an App to interface with your device?

... Yes this is the sad environment that we now live in.

You now purchase a device and are bound to the App.

Your entire purchase is contingent upon a server being maintained and updates being provided to support your device from the Qphone 6 all the way the the Qphone 666 and beyond.

Remember when you could just turn your device on locally without an App?

Remember when you could adjust settings locally without an App?

I am sure that some will take this as some old person shunning some new fangled technology.

I would ask that person to reflect on what I am saying and then ask them to GET OFF MY LAWN!
Remember when Photobucket was free...

Lucas already kicked me a few times way before the mouse stole the cheese...I would like one "classic" version of star wars please, preferably on VHS.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nick-Miller-new-girl-33312352-245-190 (1).gif

new girl door GIF

@Sean Clark you are Nick Miller :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :face-blowing-a-kiss:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t stand all the app control in this hobby. Especially when almost all of them suck with poor support.
Give me a good controller and some buttons. It’s all I need
Agreed! 100%

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get angry at R2R OP! MORE APPS!! :grinning-squinting-face:

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't need an app for that…
An impassioned plea for local control.

So everything these days has an App... Great, right?

Sure, App control can be nice, but what happens when that device manufacturer decides to no longer support your App controlled device?

You lose control.

You lose your device.

This could be compared to physical media-less media.
When you do not physically own a media, you do not actually own a media.

If the house of mouse decides to change your Star Wars so that Han does not shoot Greedo first, then that is the only media that you can consume.
Your old media is no longer relevant as it no longer exists.

The trend towards App control without physical local control is rampant.

It looks clean and convenient on the surface.

The impact is far more detrimental than most perceive on first look.

Remember when you could turn your light on and it would turn on?

Remember when you wanted more control so you added a timer plug?

Remember when you had onboard controls that allowed you to ramp up and ramp down?

Remember when you had WiFi App control to set those settings from the convenience of your phone or computer?

Remember when you lost the local control? When you were forced to use an App to interface with your device?

... Yes this is the sad environment that we now live in.

You now purchase a device and are bound to the App.

Your entire purchase is contingent upon a server being maintained and updates being provided to support your device from the Qphone 6 all the way the the Qphone 666 and beyond.

Remember when you could just turn your device on locally without an App?

Remember when you could adjust settings locally without an App?

I am sure that some will take this as some old person shunning some new fangled technology.

I would ask that person to reflect on what I am saying and then ask them to GET OFF MY LAWN!
People like video games. Unfortunately, playing with the lights and pumps everyday will cause the tank to be unstable. I just set it and forget it.

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as for lights - there are lot of options available that do not require apps. Including LED (kessil), and obviously T5.
Except the ATI LED/T5 Powermodules. Zero control without a computer or smart device. Though, I am sure there are practically none or very few marine aquarium hobbyist that do not own either, and fewer that own neither and have this light. With that being said, if I want to control my Powermodule(s) physically, I have to drag my laptop into the attic and plug into the control boxes manually.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great device would have a controller and an app. If you don't want to get off of the couch then you can use the app
Man was I mad when GHL stopped producing there touch screen for the Profilux in favor of there wireless garbage. I don't even bother with the app because it never works, atleast I can hook up my 2.1 to my computer still.
I would like one "classic" version of star wars please, preferably on VHS.
I'll have to dig around, but I have them somewhere

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t stand all the app control in this hobby. Especially when almost all of them suck with poor support.
Give me a good controller and some buttons. It’s all I need

I agree, I mean, if you are going to make equipment app forward. Make sure the app actually functions first. I feel like all these companies just enjoy using us as app guinea pigs :disappointed-face:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, I mean, if you are going to make equipment app forward. Make sure the app actually functions first. I feel like all these companies just enjoy using us as app guinea pigs :disappointed-face:
It’s not just for apps though. So many new products brought to the market are basically just beta tests and v2 is always much better. I’ve learned to not buy anything 1st gen in this hobby

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not just for apps though. So many new products brought to the market are basically just beta tests and v2 is always much better. I’ve learned to not buy anything 1st gen in this hobby

Sad... but VERY true as well.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all a ploy to get us to use our devices more so they can collect data about us as consumers. I go out of my way to only use my smart phone as little as possible. I am not all that successful, but I try. I don't use any reefing apps. I do not use any cloud storage. Reef2Reef is my only form of social media.

My career is smack dab in the middle of technology. It is how I make my living. I don't like or trust it very much.

Remember, it was all born of the laziness to flick on a light switch in the form of "The Clapper".

Now I sit in my office at work and eventually the motion sensing lights flick off. Then I have to wave my arms to trigger the motion sensor. Just because you can create something, does not mean it is actually helpful.

Back