I really need to re-dedicate myself to my tank

Peekay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in decline with no one to blame but myself. I've been dragging my feet on water changes, and have lost a few fish. Down to a pair of Banggai Cardinals, one snowflake clown (her partner went missing months ago) a Mandarin Goby, 3 peppermint shrimp (down from 6), and a pistol shrimp that rarely comes out of his cave. (I've lost a yellow watchman, a firefish, flame hawk, and dottyback) My euphyllia have died (torch, hammer, and Duncan) - I've notice some small, very think starfish like creatures 'eating' or harassing my euphyllia. My candycane seems to be making a comeback, and my blasto is thriving, a few of my zoa's still look pretty good, pulsing xenia and a couple of mushrooms are doing OK, I have a plating montipora (i think) that is absolutely thriving (I keep breaking off pieces of it when I clean, but it's grown to about 8 inches wide from a 1 inch frag)

I'm just rambling right now. I think I've hit analysis paralysis. Need to review my lighting schedule, stay on a weekly water change schedule, trim back (and clean) the chaeto in my sump. I ordered new flow pumps from reefbreeders (reef power rp-m) to get better flow going in the tank.

I've had water change salt water mixed in my rubbermaid for several months now, do you think it's still good? or should I just dump it and start over? I dose Ca, Mg, Na Bicarb.

I'll test my params tonight to let you know where I am. I guess I'm just venting. Feeling defeated. Flame me, shame me, blame me...just need to get back on this horse.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck on the tank turnaround. I think we all get there to some extent once in a while. Even though we have a tank(s) life goes on and priorities change. For the saltwater I would get it heated and circulated and then test Alk and CA, if they are ok I expect the salt is ok. Would be good to post a before pic and after the turnaround as I am sure the tank will look very different after a couple of months of TLC. Will follow:)

OP
OP
Peekay

Peekay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck on the tank turnaround. I think we all get there to some extent once in a while. Even though we have a tank(s) life goes on and priorities change. For the saltwater I would get it heated and circulated and then test Alk and CA, if they are ok I expect the salt is ok. Would be good to post a before pic and after the turnaround as I am sure the tank will look very different after a couple of months of TLC. Will follow:)
Thanks for the encouragement DC! That's a great idea, I think a tank turnaround 'blog' would give me the motivation and accountability to get this thing where it should be!

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all go through lack of motivation. This is my sons BioCube a couple weeks ago. My goal is to have it pretty around Xmas.
Cheers! Mark
1605893159691.png

OP
OP
Peekay

Peekay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all go through lack of motivation. This is my sons BioCube a couple weeks ago. My goal is to have it pretty around Xmas.
Cheers! Mark
1605893159691.png
ahhh, I remember that stage all too well. Best of luck! let me know how it goes!

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Don! I see some gorgeous tanks out here in this community. I want to get there.
I find if I can set aside a scheduled 5 minutes a day for a certain reef task, I normally find that I am enjoying it and find myself doing more and as the reef looks better I am more excited to dig in deeper. Please share a full tank shot with us :)

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers! Mark
1605893159691.png
I remember I had a stage like that but with bryopsis during Christmas break when I, for some reason, lost interest and let the bryopsis go nuts. That was a big mistake, but I luckily got it under control and now all bryopsis has been taken care of! So keep it coming and that tank will be amazing and hair algeaa free!

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on the rebound, life happens and I'm not always the most diligent reefer either. Take that list and just worry about one item at a time instead of stressing about it all at once; that's what I would do to prevent an anxiety attack lol. I personally would not use that old water though.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend finding a fish or coral to buy that would keep you motivated or interested in keeping active in the hobby

OP
OP
Peekay

Peekay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find if I can set aside a scheduled 5 minutes a day for a certain reef task, I normally find that I am enjoying it and find myself doing more and as the reef looks better I am more excited to dig in deeper. Please share a full tank shot with us :)
I will for sure when I get home. Can't believe I'm at the office. lol

OP
OP
Peekay

Peekay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember I had a stage like that but with bryopsis during Christmas break when I, for some reason, lost interest and let the bryopsis go nuts. That was a big mistake, but I luckily got it under control and now all bryopsis has been taken care of! So keep it coming and that tank will be amazing and hair algeaa free!
Yeah, I've had the hair algae phase, the bubble algae, the aptasia, I've had it all and battled it all. Not going to lie, I think my tank looks like crap right now...hopefully the new pumps will provide better flow and fewer dead spots. Must. Get. Motivated.

OP
OP
Peekay

Peekay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend finding a fish or coral to buy that would keep you motivated or interested in keeping active in the hobby
for sure I will need to get a new friend for my solo snowflake clown. He's grown tremendously since I got him as a baby. I was hoping the watchman goby would pair up with the pistol shrimp, but that never happened. I feel like everyone is skittish in my tank...when I walk up to, or around the tank, the banggai cardinals find somewhere to hide....I'm really not a bad fish dad...lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back