I really wish....

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to respond here and there but it does get annoying when people do the “let me see your tank” thing. I like to tinker with stuff and I haven’t had just one tank setup since I started reefing. It’s been an sps tank here, a zoa tank next, a lps tank, an sps tank again, etc. Each time I trade my corals away and give myself a clean slate. I’ve had my current tank up and running for a year with most of acros starting off as small frags. I can post pictures of growth rates now, but back then, people would just see small frags and assume I didn’t know what I was talking about. Give it another year and you’ll see an “expert tank”. It takes time to grow stuff and when I say “time” I don’t mean weeks. I mean several years before you get that nice “full” acro tank. Patience people.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also tired of the noob responses, which typically take the form of "what are your parameters" like an annoying script

Well, if Parameters aren't posted it's typically the first thing even incredibly experienced reefers ask for anyway so that annoying script serves a purpose regardless of who asks it. How is ANYONE supposed to help, experienced or not, if someone isn't giving out all the information generally required for someone to even come up with a potential solution to a problem? Even if they don't know the answer after that, atleast someone with more knowledge can now look at all the information at hand and potentially come up with an idea as to what may be wrong.

While I generally agree with the sentiment that one shouldn't be giving advice they are either unsure of or aren't experienced enough to give. They can serve some purpose by bumping a thread up or getting those "annoying script" questions out of the way so those with actual experience can get eyes on it and go from there. I do also agree that after asking said trivial questions that if one doesn't have enough experience to pursue the matter further, they should tag someone else in. There are enough known experienced reefers out there it shouldn't be hard to tag them in to take a look. Unfortunately I don't think many newer members here understand this function which makes things more difficult.

I think it's all about understanding your limitations as a new reefer and helping where you can with the limited knowledge you have. Some members, unfortunately, just can't draw the line as to where they have overstepped their knowledge base and that leads to threads like this that seem to pop up every other month....

I'm certainly in the camp with @Chaswood79, I don't generally comment on questions or subjects I know absolutely nothing about. I will however, if a thread isn't getting traction, tag someone into the convo to get there knowledge base in the mix. And this is only when I know for a fact they can be helpful. Otherwise I stay out of it.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i can grow sps,give advise on sps,need pics "ask" but def not expert when come to sick fish unanswered "em" or not threads ,i will bump them out or tag someone to get answers for them ;)

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petty?? You think asking for experienced advice vs non experienced is petty?? Trivial?? Not important?? Well I think I’m being the complete opposite of petty, but you’re free to think whatever you want. Thanks for stopping by.

I get that you want expert advice, thats nice but there are several thousand members here, most are new, the experts you seek are also helping them. Or have not seen your post and have yet to respond.

I am sorry your not getting the responces you need.
So yes I feel your being petty.

Ah......no. This site is owned by somebody and they can edit / delete anything they wish. They may simply not choose to enforce it. In any respect, this site is not like a public sidewalk or newsgroup.

I'm also tired of the noob responses, which typically take the form of "what are your parameters" like an annoying script, to which the OP responds with water params that are completely within the growth range of SPS. To which the responder either doesn't respond, or responds with some absurdly trivial adjustment that's not relevant to the problem. Rinse / repeat.

The majority of hardcore SPS owners I know don't go near these forums simply because they have to wade through so many bad responses. Seems every guy with a biocube and half a dozen 1" SPS frags that haven't grown in 6months is an SPS expert.

I dont care if its owned by someone or not.
This site is open to the public is it not?
Umm yea so your going to get a mirad of expieriance here.

If you guys cant handle this and dont want inexpierianced responces then I highly recomend starting your own site and only allow people who have at least 10 years of proven expieriance that you can confirm to join.

This way you will be able to avoid the low lifes down here in the rank and file.
No need to see yet another post on best saltmix or cycling.

Oh and by the way glad to see your NOT a R2R suporter. So whatever you get out of this site is free for you.
So IMO you have no right to complain.
At least Chaswood79 is a suporter, oh ya so am I..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that you want expert advice, thats nice but there are several thousand members here, most are new, the experts you seek are also helping them. Or have not seen your post and have yet to respond.

I am sorry your not getting the responces you need.
So yes I feel your being petty.

I dont care if its owned by someone or not.
This site is open to the public is it not?
Umm yea so your going to get a mirad of expieriance here.

If you guys cant handle this and dont want inexpierianced responces then I highly recomend starting your own site and only allow people who have at least 10 years of proven expieriance that you can confirm to join.

This way you will be able to avoid the low lifes down here in the rank and file.
No need to see yet another post on best saltmix or cycling.

Oh and by the way glad to see your NOT a R2R suporter.
So IMO you have no right to complain.
Well....
I don’t need advice. I’m one of the ones giving experienced advice. I’m guessing you’re not an sps enthusiast?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....
I don’t need advice. I’m one of the ones giving experienced advice. I’m guessing you’re not an sps enthusiast?
I am an enthusiast of reefing.
But I am a new guy just learning, that you dont want to hear from.
I am cutting my teeth on SPS.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an enthusiast of reefing.
But I am a new guy just learning, that you dont want to hear from.
I am cutting my teeth on SPS.
Well....
Duuuuude....
You’re, not your btw, since you’re learning, over reacting. I never said newbies are not welcome. I help newbs or struggling ppl here in spsVille everyday, bc I have experience. What I don’t want is inexperienced leading others down the wrong path bc they have no experience.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duuuuude....
You’re, not your btw, since you’re learning, over reacting. I never said newbies are not welcome. I help newbs or struggling ppl here in spsVille everyday, bc I have experience. What I don’t want is inexperienced leading others down the wrong path bc they have no experience.

Yes I get it.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without all the bloat and questions that have been answered many times.

Edit: this place is awesome btw and I’m not trying to take anything away from it.

This my friend is the norm for every site I have ever been a part of.
It's just the way it is.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
understand completely ,see same questions almost every day,but that's why we are here"right"

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have a great night all :)
giphy.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This thread still going?
This is not what R2R is about!!
Tell us what your tank parameters are, what you hope to keep in the form of SPS and what your hopes are.
You will get answers and guidance

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is probably my #1 pet peeve, there is a great search function on this site to find just about any answer to any question. Back when I was welcoming new members to the site I always encouraged them to use the search function first before starting a new thread as there questions have more than likely been answered 100 times previously.

I however stopped welcoming new members some time ago and rarely see the search function mentioned atall.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back