I really wish....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is exactly what the OP was getting at.

If I owned a $300k Ferrari then I would want to hear from the mechanic that specializes in repairing expensive Ferrari's. Not the mechanic that "tinker's" with cars.

Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, SPS systems are one of the more difficult systems to keep along with the most expensive. Would be good to know if you were getting sound advice from someone who has a lot of experience in the subject of discussion(SPS, LPS, NPS, FISH, INVERTS, ETC), or someone who just"tinker's" around with that area.

I believe the OP was just suggesting that if someone doesn't have a lot of experience with SPS, etc then they probably shouldn't be giving people information as it could be the wrong information.

Perfectly summed up! Well said!

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha I love this post, I am absolutely a new person to reef keeping. I never have any advice about something I dont know about without saying "Im not an expert but my thoughts are ...". However, I have spent my entire life being a nerd about ocean life and diving. So I think there's some credibility to that.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I owned a $300k Ferrari then I would want to hear from the mechanic that specializes in repairing expensive Ferrari's. Not the mechanic that "tinker's" with cars.

Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, SPS systems are one of the more difficult systems to keep along with the most expensive. Would be good to know if you were getting sound advice from someone who has a lot of experience in the subject of discussion(SPS, LPS, NPS, FISH, INVERTS, ETC), or someone who just"tinker's" around with that area.

I believe the OP was just suggesting that if someone doesn't have a lot of experience with SPS, etc then they probably shouldn't be giving people information as it could be the wrong information.
Pretty much. Tinkering with sps means you have experience. Just researching and watching YouTube does not qualify as experience.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I do totally agree with that. IF your paying for a service and are looking for the highest quality in return for your dollar. HOWEVER, in an open forum or casual discussion there is no reason when "John" mentions his "Ferrari" is vibrating above 70mph that "Larry" can not suggest to "John" to check the balance on the tires even if he has never seen a Ferrari in his life. There are just certain parameters that can very well directly apply to the vast array different species of corals, cars, electronics....etc the list goes on. The whole idea behind an open forum is to accumulate copious amounts of information and provide place and sense of community where people can freely discuss topics with fellow people who enjoy similar things.

If someone gives incorrect information, its up to you and others with more knowledge to correct them in an open forum. Now, you have helped two people. One who was asking a question and another who may have been going about something the wrong way. Who knows maybe even learn something yourself.

If you start taking away the freedom of discussion in a forum your going to find that it wont last very long.

Granted all that being said. Both sides of the spectrum have validity. I would rather get the best possible advice off the bat without weeding through nonsense also. But, it doesnt work that way so I understand the frustration.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also paying for information (or anything) is no assurance of anything. Money may skew things in your favor, but it also may not. Money attracts sales people and that may or may not be a good idea. I prefer to have multiple sources no matter how silly or wrong some of the advice might be, because even the crazy have little gems of truth.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post was just removed for being offensive. If I offended anyone I am truly sorry. Just seen a funny GIF and didn't mean for it to be offensive at all.

Again, apologize if it came across any other way.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post was just removed for being offensive. If I offended anyone I am truly sorry. Just seen a funny GIF and didn't mean for it to be offensive at all.

Again, apologize if it came across any other way.
I thought it was funny and not offensive at all. This thread seems to be under heavy surveillance and someone has their finger on the dump button. They considered someone with tape on their face offensive but not this...
3B7C0FEA-AC70-4027-999C-CEC092C65DEF.png

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was funny and not offensive at all. This thread seems to be under heavy surveillance and someone has their finger on the dump button. They considered someone with tape on their face offensive but not this...

Hate to be a pot stirrer , but seeing the paper towel one for the first time and gotta agree. Great movie, but just an editing error that needed to be brought to attention I think. #MODS

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to be a pot stirrer , but seeing the paper towel one for the first time and gotta agree. Great movie, but just an editing error that needed to be brought to attention I think. #MODS
Anything with Charlie Sheen has got to be offensive to someone somewhere. He gives us Charlie’s a bad name

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ooof nice catch! Looks like someone’s avatar needs to be addressed! Thanks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also we’ve had attention to this thread because it has gotten multiple reports made about it from various member of the community. We try to keep threads open not shut them down. Thanks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back