NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stealing your header.
And eewww! Yuck! I know they are there, I don't like em tho.

Yeah, I forget which user I got the header idea from. It was great reading their whole thread with a sense of the timing of growth and maturity. I update it in a post every 1/2 month.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news to report. Lucy and Ricky our Cleaner Shrimp both passed away this week. Ricky (1.25”) disappeared early in the week. I hoped he would show up freshly molted, but never did. Lucy (2”) was then found dead in a manner that suggested an attack. It could be though that crabs and other critters had already had at it.

Two major changes to the tank this week were

1. we added a Bubble Tip Anemone
  2. I did a big cleaning of the return and refugium chambers

We also have an elevated level of Zinc as I mentioned in earlier posts. Shrimp can be very sensitive to metals, but this was not a new issue or a toxic level (11.47 μg/l).

I started a new thread to discuss the issue

Cleaner Shrimp Deaths:
A Whodunnit Poll

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Sorry Caveman

How are your duaghter's taking the loss?

The older one was okay. The younger, more sensitive, daughter took it pretty hard. She had named them Lucy and Ricky and I think that led her to feel a special bond with them. Losing pets is something we go through as kids and it can be a moment to learn and grow. My wife and I told the girls and we talked about it together as a family which made everyone feel better.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear @NY_Caveman :( :(

I was reading about shrimps earlier on some site that said not to mix banded shrimp unless they are a bonded pair. Were yours?

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear @NY_Caveman :( :(

I was reading about shrimps earlier on some site that said not to mix banded shrimp unless they are a bonded pair. Were yours?

They were not. Banded are a bit more aggressive than Cleaner Shrimp in my experience. I have kept multiple Cleaning Shrimp in the past as well. That is no proof of course and Lucy did occasionally shoo Ricky away, but never relentlessly. If only Ricky passed I might have thought that.

Still, it could have happened and then Lucy coincidentally met some other end.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about Lucy and Ricky :( Worst part about pets is the eventuality of their demises no matter how long we’ve been privileged to care for them.

I've been reading your thread in the background since the beginning mate. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aw, that is hard. Saltwater is just like that though, isn't it? That is the part I do not like.

It bugged me all day. Our first loss (other than a couple of CUC members). I felt like things were running well so the loss bothered me and it also bothered me I may have missed something. At this point I am monitoring and everyone else seems fine. One hermit is still questionable and I am watching him too.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lucy and Ricky will be missed! All jokes aside, my son had a goldfish for 8 years. I think we both mourned quite a bit. It was hard as a parent not to be able to fix it.

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build, just now am caught up with the build! Amazing job, as a new reefer there is a lot to learn about patience and proper planning leading to success and beautiful tanks. Following along for sure!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR Update

Over the past month I have slowly increased both the light intensity and the photoperiod. I use the Seneye device to measure PAR. Reminder, lights are SB Reef Lights 16” Extreme WiFi. Current peak channel mix is

1. Blue - 20%
  2. White - 12%
  3. Moon - 25%

Diodes are 9” above the water level. Here is a current PAR map

• White - current peak levels
  • Red - middle of August
  • Green - beginning of August
1C3474A0-6343-466C-95F3-89A92DC87556.jpeg

Generally I have found that the middle level is 2/3 the level at the surface. The bottom is 1/2 the surface level (~17” below). Photoperiod is now 13 hours total with whites on, ramping up then down, for 9 hours.

All corals are looking very good, but I did finally move the Duncan coral. It was in only about 40 PAR and now sits around 100 PAR. After 4 weeks of not fully opening I felt it was time to try a change. You can see them now in the center, towards the back
303DF1C1-2EF7-4EED-A3F4-DBE340964572.jpeg

The Bubble Tip Anemone on the right, in the crevice, is looking quite inflated and happy.

Last edited:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR Update

Over the past month I have slowly increased both the light intensity and the photoperiod. I use the Seneye device to measure PAR. Reminder, lights are SB Reef Lights 16” Extreme WiFi. Current peak channel mix is

1. Blue - 20%
  2. White - 12%
  3. Moon - 25%

Diodes are 9” above the water level. Here is a current PAR map

• White - current peak levels
  • Red - middle of August
  • Green - beginning of August
1C3474A0-6343-466C-95F3-89A92DC87556.jpeg

Generally I have found that the middle level is 2/3 the level at the surface. The bottom is 1/2 the surface level (~17” below). Photoperiod is now 13 hours total with whites on, ramping up then down, for 9 hours.

All corals are looking very good, but I did finally move the Duncan coral. It was in only about 40 PAR and now sits around 100 PAR. After 4 weeks of not fully opening I felt it was time to try a change. You can see them now in the center, towards the back
303DF1C1-2EF7-4EED-A3F4-DBE340964572.jpeg

The Bubble Tip Anemone on the right, in the crevice, is looking quite inflated and happy.
Very neat about the PAR readings. I look forward to seeing the cute little BTA venturing out into the world more.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Victoria M

Here is a quick video of the anemone in the early morning under blues. One happy looking camper

I'm hoping it keeps its bubbles like my half is. I've had them now for 3 months and they show no signs of loosing their bubbles :) looking good man! I'm glad you, the wife, and the kids like it :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back