NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
406C15D7-8969-4EB5-98C7-9C855BFCB9B1.jpeg

Nice @Scurvy ! Yours is pretty sweet as well. Orange and black clowns too.

NICE Caveman.

Thank you! I looked up your Macro Algae. Looks like you made the right decision removing the rock.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. You might remember this from earlier in my thread.
IMG_0832.JPG
I get that kind of Macro Algae in my Tank on and off.
Usually it starts when Calcium is on the High end.
To me it was always harmless. Easy to pluck off here and there.
That rock seems a bit on the infested side.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have never quarantined in 30 years, but I realize that is Russian Roulette and I am probably due. For this tank I have 4 “cheap” fish. Not that it is about the money, but that is still considered. For this and the previous ocellaris, it is from my most trusted LFS. They are highly selective and quarantine their fish.

Were I ever to set up a large tank, for say Tangs or Angels, I would absolutely quarantine.
Seem I need to catch up on your history. Sorry I just jumped back into this thread on page 42.
I knew you have been around from posts on my thread, but didn't realize 30 years and done it all.
As I mentioned, I too have had luck with no QT. Willing to admit it, since many folks don't QT. Don't encourage it when the stakes are high (like my new 110G Tank)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that kind of Macro Algae in my Tank on and off.
Usually it starts when Calcium is on the High end.
To me it was always harmless. Easy to pluck off here and there.
That rock seems a bit on the infested side.
That is an understatement...o_O

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem I need to catch up on your history. Sorry I just jumped back into this thread on page 42.
I knew you have been around from posts on my thread, but didn't realize 30 years and done it all.
As I mentioned, I too have had luck with no QT. Willing to admit it, since many folks don't QT. Don't encourage it when the stakes are high (like my new 110G Tank)

Well, I started reefing about 30 years ago, but I took a big hiatus in the middle and only had freshwater tanks. Still, maintaining any tank kept me fresh to some degree for my return to reefing.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Darwin ocellaris was doing well in the box and no one was paying much attention to him, so we released him into the tank today. Everything went well. The Midas Blenny tried to show him he was the boss a couple of times, but nothing serious. The Darwin seemed to hold his own. After that they were fine for the rest of the day. Our other ocellaris was in the back of the tank a bit more than usual, but did swim some here and there with the new one. Interestingly, the Pink Streaked Wrasse was very social today and very active. Much like her reaction when we added the first ocellaris. Overall, the new fish seemed to integrate fairly easily into the system.

DD95C48F-B123-4B8F-BDB5-329E5EBCD74A.jpeg

C97B6B17-115C-485C-AB59-B5DD0DE94E48.jpeg

35D2E340-6598-4E88-9D97-8D734E179993.jpeg

This last image is pretty crappy, but it was cool to get all four fish in one shot
9DE0D6F3-1ADC-4193-B0EF-94422BFDFB9C.jpeg

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Darwin ocellaris was doing well in the box and no one was paying much attention to him, so we released him into the tank today. Everything went well. The Midas Blenny tried to show him he was the boss a couple of times, but nothing serious. The Darwin seemed to hold his own. After that they were fine for the rest of the day. Our other ocellaris was in the back of the tank a bit more than usual, but did swim some here and there with the new one. Interestingly, the Pink Streaked Wrasse was very social today and very active. Much like her reaction when we added the first ocellaris. Overall, the new fish seemed to integrate fairly easily into the system.

DD95C48F-B123-4B8F-BDB5-329E5EBCD74A.jpeg

C97B6B17-115C-485C-AB59-B5DD0DE94E48.jpeg

35D2E340-6598-4E88-9D97-8D734E179993.jpeg

This last image is pretty crappy, but it was cool to get all four fish in one shot
9DE0D6F3-1ADC-4193-B0EF-94422BFDFB9C.jpeg

Nice! Glad he integrated well! He's a good looking clown.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Caveman.. question in your media basket you have live rock, you don't have any issues with debris in the rocks? I used to have a bag with pond matrix in my 100 gallon and it was a always dirty and had to clean it out every other week. until i removed it then my nitrates went down.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Caveman.. question in your media basket you have live rock, you don't have any issues with debris in the rocks? I used to have a bag with pond matrix in my 100 gallon and it was a always dirty and had to clean it out every other week. until i removed it then my nitrates went down.

I change the Carbon in that basket every three weeks during a water change. When I do I syphon the old water from the bottom of that chamber. I have not noticed anything excessive in the rock, but I have not looked that closely at it either. There are tons of pods down there that probably break down detritus and that chamber leads to the refugium section. I only feed once per day and only have four fish. My NO3 is currently 2 ppm.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Glad he integrated well! He's a good looking clown.
Excellent News.

Nothing is more better than a New Fish being accepted by the Tank Mates (so New Fish feels comfortable, and that's less stress right of the bat)
10x Better if social interaction improves tank atmosphere.
Things are going well. Congrats.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I started reefing about 30 years ago, but I took a big hiatus in the middle and only had freshwater tanks. Still, maintaining any tank kept me fresh to some degree for my return to reefing.
Ahh, that explains things. So this is your First/New (recent) Reef tank, after Fresh water for a long while.....

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, that explains things. So this is your First/New (recent) Reef tank, after Fresh water for a long while.....

Correct. Many firsts. First time using an ATO, dosers, LEDs, gyre, first ever SPS frags. I understand all the equipment though and how they relate to or replace how I did things in the past. Nothing is really new, just different ways to do it.

Skimmers were fairly new on the scene in the early nineties and adding one to my system then was a big part of my success I believe. Metal Halide kept my anemones happy and live rock was the cornerstone.

I am not sure I ever said this before, but the logic of math and science come very natural to me. Underlying all of my tanks successes (and failures) in the past is my subconscious love for these studies. Truly the appeal of reefing to me is maintaining a large, dynamic system.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Many firsts. First time using an ATO, dosers, LEDs, gyre, first ever SPS frags. I understand all the equipment though and how they relate to or replace how I did things in the past. Nothing is really new, just different ways to do it.

Skimmers were fairly new on the scene in the early nineties and adding one to my system then was a big part of my success I believe. Metal Halide kept my anemones happy and live rock was the cornerstone.

I am not sure I ever said this before, but the logic of math and science come very natural to me. Underlying all of my tanks successes (and failures) in the past is my subconscious love for these studies. Truly the appeal of reefing to me is maintaining a large, dynamic system.

Well if you interested in Math and Science, you know that the Right Tools are essential.

You may already have these great Online Reef Tools, but no harm in passing on.
These are my favorites and I the first two often.

CHEMISTRY (Additive) CALCULATOR (for ALK,CALC, MAG)
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
-> You punch in your Total System Water Volume. And if you want to increase ALK, you put in Current ALK, and TARGET. Pick your Product, and it tells you how much to add. Even Tips on breaking up the Addition. DON'T know your water VOLUME (Top Right of WEB SITE has a Water Volume Calculator for every shape possible)
-> I love this accurate tool for dosing, top up, that I don't buy any products that are not on the List.

SALINITY (TOP OFF) CALCULATOR
https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/SaltwaterTopOff.php
I love this one. If me Salinity get out of Wack. Usually too low, I figure out how much Salt Water to Add to bring it to Target.
I fill up my ATO 5 Gallon Bucket with that Salt Water. When it's empty, my Salnity in Tank is perfect.
You can use lower Salinity water to slow the increase, and then need a few buckets to get to target.

Potassium Supplement Calculator
https://www.ultimatereef.net/pages/pot_supplement/
I've only used this one once, when my Phosphates got to low. You can use Dr. Randy's formula or this does the calculation for you.
With KCL (Potassium Clhoride) which you can get a health Food store (food) grade. You can figure out how to get K up to Ideal 400ppm.
K can be too low with cheaper Salts. Never go too high on K or you can get Mega Algae Bloom.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caveman how stable is that stand ? without the center supports makes me a little nervous. you recommend to reinforce it?

The Flat Panel 45 did not come with a full center support like the older RL-45. It only has the center brace in the front. This was a big surprise to me. The Flat Panel stand is also 20 pounds lighter. The insert I built is hopefully adding to the support. It is functional to hold the power station and doser as well. I find the insert more useful than the shelf would have been and I can build on it if needed. I am pretty impressed with it actually as I am not that handy with wood and tools.

That all said, I would say the stand is stable, but not that sturdy. In fact it is the one thing I worry about. I believe the stand will hold the weight of the system fine vertically, but any horizontal pressure could lead to disaster. With two kids and a dog I am somewhat concerned. If I were doing maintenance and fell toward the tank or stand I might topple it. I feel I could easily bring the whole thing down. Too easily. I would love a more solid wood or aluminum based stand. I have done a lot of research on other stand options, but obviously it would be a big change to make now.

I estimate the system only weighs just over 500 pounds, so that is not too bad. The floors can certainly handle it and if we are careful, the stand will work okay. The tank is in a corner and away from common foot traffic.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back