I received a box of rocks today.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not normally one to read long build threads, but I marathoned yours over the last few day and can't wait for more updates! Great work on the tank; your passion and attention to detail really showes through. I want to thank you for sharing your piece of ocean and home with us. Your writing is fun and funny, but captivating because it's genuine and relatable. Got me thinking about ways I could better share my reef with my loved ones and approach my tank with a different perspective.

Looking forward to more of your journey! (And post 1000 :D )

We said and welcome aboard! :)

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not normally one to read long build threads, but I marathoned yours over the last few day and can't wait for more updates! Great work on the tank; your passion and attention to detail really showes through. I want to thank you for sharing your piece of ocean and home with us. Your writing is fun and funny, but captivating because it's genuine and relatable. Got me thinking about ways I could better share my reef with my loved ones and approach my tank with a different perspective.

Looking forward to more of your journey! (And post 1000 :D )

Thanks @IgnatiusRath ! Very kind. Glad you enjoyed it. If it got you thinking then I guess I am doing okay. That is a great compliment.
:)

EDIT: and welcome to the forum!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nice watching all your patience and planning coming to life bub...

Just great example of what can be accomplished if u just let it roll out and keep ur peace.

Congrats on ur mission. Cant wait for the frags to fill out and really give that scape what its worth!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nice watching all your patience and planning coming to life bub...

Just great example of what can be accomplished if u just let it roll out and keep ur peace.

Congrats on ur mission. Cant wait for the frags to fill out and really give that scape what its worth!

Right! Sad thing with a tank this size is that the day I think it looks great and filled in will probably be a day away from having to start trimming corals. We all have a dream reef in our heads, but that "moment in time" is very quick and sandwiched between the long wait and the endless trimming. It often bugs me when new reefers want fast growth and an immediate reef. Not the impatience so much as the looming realization for them that trimming a reef is often more work and more frustrating than getting it to grow. That said, a healthy, growing reef is always something to be proud of. I am not looking for fast growers. Most of what I have that can grow fast is isolated to some degree.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, Montipora!
Speaking of growth in a small tank, I have finally decide on some Montipora corals. I debated a long time in my head whether I could add any to this aquarium. I think if I had to pick one type of coral, though, that would be it. You get encrusters, plates, branchers, and everything in between with Montipora. I find them fascinating with their interesting shapes, colors and growth patterns, but most grow very fast and large. Even some like M. spongodes grow branches, plates and encrust all within that one coral! With the help of an expert here on the site, I have chosen four somewhat slow growers that should work well. Now, I know these can take over a tank my size when they hit critical mass, so I will need to be watchful.

These are the corals I will be adding in a few weeks to augment the midsection around SPS Island and the bare bottom.

• Montipora capitata
  • JF Blue Summit
  • JF Outrage Montipora
  • Jedi Mind Trick
Of these, only the Jedi Mind Trick gets to growing very fast according to my research. The low spot I plan for it should allow for that for a while. I am really excited to add these to the tank soon.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! Sad thing with a tank this size is that the day I think it looks great and filled in will probably be a day away from having to start trimming corals. We all have a dream reef in our heads, but that "moment in time" is very quick and sandwiched between the long wait and the endless trimming. It often bugs me when new reefers want fast growth and an immediate reef. Not the impatience so much as the looming realization for them that trimming a reef is often more work and more frustrating than getting it to grow. That said, a healthy, growing reef is always something to be proud of. I am not looking for fast growers. Most of what I have that can grow fast is isolated to some degree.
I hear you and you are dead on. I live both sides of the coin.

I think we all want some initial encrusting, and confirmation that the Coral is growing (which confirms correct placement). THAT IS WHERE I AM IMPATIENT.
Then I see myself taking a step back, to enjoy the garden flourish. Be it 6 months, or 2 years. Each month/week brings new surprises (Growth, Color, PE, blend)
This applies to newer tanks.

For my Extablished 15 year old tank. I actually keep lighting to minimal, since I don't want any growth at all. Wish I could hit PAUSE/FREEZE.
And since I can't, I have to sometimes adjust, trim spread things out, WHICH I HATE.
The only benefit is any cuttings can be sold or traded to recover some tank running costs.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, Montipora!
Speaking of growth in a small tank, I have finally decide on some Montipora corals. I debated a long time in my head whether I could add any to this aquarium. I think if I had to pick one type of coral, though, that would be it. You get encrusters, plates, branchers, and everything in between with Montipora. I find them fascinating with their interesting shapes, colors and growth patterns, but most grow very fast and large. Even some like M. spongodes grow branches, plates and encrust all within that one coral! With the help of an expert here on the site, I have chosen four somewhat slow growers that should work well. Now, I know these can take over a tank my size when they hit critical mass, so I will need to be watchful.

These are the corals I will be adding in a few weeks to augment the midsection around SPS Island and the bare bottom.

• Montipora capitata
  • JF Blue Summit
  • JF Outrage Montipora
  • Jedi Mind Trick
Of these, only the Jedi Mind Trick gets to growing very fast according to my research. The low spot I plan for it should allow for that for a while. I am really excited to add these to the tank soon.
Nice choices. I googled up pictures. I like the Blue Summit the best. The few picture of the Montipora Capitata I found look odd.

I too decided on some Montis for mid section. Picked encrusting VS plating, since they will just cover rocks and not take up space.
One that I'm happy with the the Sunset Monti. Nice blend of green/red.
Another Encruster that is really spectacular under blue lights (and you show it in a past on some star wars ships) is the Branching Caphystrea (and believe me, I had one, have one....It does everything except Branch).

Of course, if you want to sell your house, get one of these montis
https://shop.jasonfoxsignaturecorals.com/products/m-z9eo
Here is a two pack special
http://bigshowfrags.com/asd-flaming-phoenix-j-fox-beach-bum-monti-combo/

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice choices. I googled up pictures. I like the Blue Summit the best. The few picture of the Montipora Capitata I found look odd.

I too decided on some Montis for mid section. Picked encrusting VS plating, since they will just cover rocks and not take up space.
One that I'm happy with the the Sunset Monti. Nice blend of green/red.
Another Encruster that is really spectacular under blue lights (and you show it in a past on some star wars ships) is the Branching Caphystrea (and believe me, I had one, have one....It does everything except Branch).

Of course, if you want to sell your house, get one of these montis
https://shop.jasonfoxsignaturecorals.com/products/m-z9eo
Here is a two pack special
http://bigshowfrags.com/asd-flaming-phoenix-j-fox-beach-bum-monti-combo/

I have seen the Beach Bum in person and the glow is unreal. Here is an example of the M. capitata. It branches a bit, but the “skin” has some great nodules as well. It is definitely odd which is why I like it!

58F77812-9515-486D-AEA4-BD27B8C225FD.jpeg

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add, @WallyB I really like the Turbinaria you have as well. It really looks and grows like a Montipora in my opinion. How would you rate its growth? Slow, fast, somewhere in between? Thanks.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying my first monti right now. I have no idea what kind it is. It was given to me. It has begun encrusting the plug, so I may be looking for another soon. The one I really want is bright pink with a white rim. Looks a bit like a Stargazer Lily.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird Snail Day

(Posted some of this elsewhere too). I mentioned in Post 931, I had reglued a Twisted Sister SPS frag after being knocked out by a Trochus Snail. Yesterday when I woke up, two Trochus and a huge Turbo Snail were plotting no good atop the reglued frag.

15391BC0-604C-4CDB-9FB6-CF41480C4218.jpeg

Blue arrow is the Turbo fleeing when I went to grab my phone. The yellow arrow is the Trochuses idiotically waiting by the weary frag at the scene of the crime.

So what were the other snails doing at this time? You tell me.
BA7D7C42-72A2-4F23-A2B7-1D12C061D73B.jpeg

D035AB81-132B-4AD6-8DBC-5BD141F8D6C7.jpeg

That folks is a 2” Turbo and at best a 1” Trochus. Are they trying to break the species barrier? Plotting against the shell thieving crabs? Simple cleaning? Breakout?

That is two strikes for the snails. If the Nerites choose sides we may just meet our doom.

Last edited:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying my first monti right now. I have no idea what kind it is. It was given to me. It has begun encrusting the plug, so I may be looking for another soon. The one I really want is bright pink with a white rim. Looks a bit like a Stargazer Lily.
Ooh, Star Gazer Lilys are my all time favorite flower. They were my wedding bouquet.
Umm...back to our regularly scheduled program.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird Snail Day

(Posted some of this elsewhere too). I mentioned in Post 931, I had reglued a Twisted Sister SPS frag after being knocked out by a Trochus Snail. Yesterday when I woke up, two Trochus and a huge Turbo Snail were plotting no good atop the reglued frag.

Blue arrow is the Turbo fleeing when I went to grab my phone. The yellow arrow is the Trochuses idiotically waiting by the weary frag at the scene of the crime.

So what were the other snails doing at this time? You tell me.
That folks is a 2” Turbo and at best a 1” Trochus. Are they trying to break the species barrier? Plotting against the shell thieving crabs? Simple cleaning? Breakout?

That is two strikes for the snails. If the Nerites choose sides we may just meet our doom.
Hmm....brings back memories.

I had and still have a Convict (moved to permanent Sump Cleanup duty).
A Cowrie snail.
He was in my Tank doing great Algae work. Probably for a 2-3 months.
One day, I was glanced at my tank late evening when lights were on dim.
He was shaving all of polyps off my SPS.
I gave him a 2nd chance, thinking it may have been just him cleaning off algae I couldn't see.
But next time I put a timelapse camera with Night vision on tank.
He did it again, and that was his last day in the tank.

(CONSIDER GETTING A CHEAP Night Vision Recoding camera to watch them).

He is what you may see. (good and bad Snails)

I learned later reading about specific speicies "TIGER Cowrie snail" , that their recommended food (IS CORALS). Which is the Cowrie I have.

But in your case Trochus and Turbo's are not the same.
Maybe you tank is lacking Algae and that Frag had a dusting. They are starved.

Why don't you put in some Nori (sea weed) which I do to feed my Starving Emerald Crabs.
Once they taste the stuff, they may leaving your SPS alone. They might need the food regularly.
Another alternative is Spiralina tablets.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back