OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, left unchecked everything will self destruct, from heater malfunction to corals growing into one another, etc etc.

The idea is mostly to get people to think it's not always going to be smooth sailing. And that most tanks end in death :(
Right. I agree. The ocean was not designed for a tiny closed system. My tank suffered exactly because of swings away from the ocean’s natural balance and scale. FWIW, I attribute any success I have had in any marine tank to the use of live rock.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your support and unyielding love for your son is a notion that needs to be in more homes. Sound like you are both very lucky to have one another brian.

In this world he is up against a mountain of prejudice. He will need all the support u can give. Very moving that you shared that Brian. Thank you.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your support and unyielding love for your son is a notion that needs to be in more homes. Sound like you are both very lucky to have one another brian.

In this world he is up against a mountain of prejudice. He will need all the support u can give. Very moving that you shared that Brian. Thank you.
Thanks, man!

Alexc2403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respect to you mate both your kids are lucky to have you. I don’t post a lot on here but read a lot of threads but just wanted to say with your support I’m sure your son and your family will get through any hard times he faces.

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me two and a half days, but I read through your entire thread. It was so worth it. Between your attention to detail, your transparency, your sense of humor, and shared life-lessons, this thread is an absolute treasure. Now that I am caught up, I look forward to being a regular follower. Thank you for all of your sharing!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Brian. What a year. My sons and I are always talking about this gender stuff. My kids are much more open minded than me in many ways. They each have a friend or two with gender dysphoria, some who may grow up to be transgender, one acquaintance who has transitioned to male at 24, and seems much happier, several who are gay or bi or just somethin other than straight. oldest son dated a girl who was pan sexual. This is actually what seemed to start this ongoing conversation.
Anyway... a lot of our social constructs seem to be undergoing scrutiny and change. We have got to roll with it. A big part of life is self discovery and self acceptance, right? It is so hard to observe and nurture our children when they take such a different route than we saw them going. It challenges us on a visceral level at times. You seem to be handling this in stride. loving and supporting your offspring through this stage of self discovery admirably. Kudos and hugs.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Brian. What a year. My sons and I are always talking about this gender stuff. My kids are much more open minded than me in many ways. They each have a friend or two with gender dysphoria, some who may grow up to be transgender, one acquaintance who has transitioned to male at 24, and seems much happier, several who are gay or bi or just somethin other than straight. oldest son dated a girl who was pan sexual. This is actually what seemed to start this ongoing conversation.
Anyway... a lot of our social constructs seem to be undergoing scrutiny and change. We have got to roll with it. A big part of life is self discovery and self acceptance, right? It is so hard to observe and nurture our children when they take such a different route than we saw them going. It challenges us on a visceral level at times. You seem to be handling this in stride. loving and supporting your offspring through this stage of self discovery admirably. Kudos and hugs.
Thank you, Victoria. I had a long day and your thoughtful post really picked me up. I have always been open minded about sexuality and gender. I recently met with some parents of other similar children at an event my son wanted to attend. Some of their stories were heartbreaking. Really made me feel very fortunate.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Victoria. I had a long day and your thoughtful post really picked me up. I have always been open minded about sexuality and gender. I recently met with some parents of other similar children at an event my son wanted to attend. Some of their stories were heartbreaking. Really made me feel very fortunate.

#r2r4life

This place is seriously a sanctuary...in so many aspects.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and whilst I'm at it you sir can have some! ;)

DSC_0191 (1024x691).jpg

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How goes the weekend? Out and about or tank stuff?
Weekend was kind of down and up. Friday was a terrible day for me and it is not worth even mentioning. Saturday was much better. Spent the early time with a new friend and then the night with a very old friend. Today I cleaned the return pump, blew off the rocks and did a water change. Tank is coming along. My plan if all goes well is to add a small round of corals during the Labor Day sales. If I feel the tank is ready.

Now I am heading into work! Monday starts early for this Caveman!
640E6BD2-5F44-4F12-B1CE-B04687F46D4A.jpeg

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To friends new and old glad your weekend turned around.
What ya thinking of adding coral wise if all looks good in tank?
I am going to focus more on LPS. I have a couple of Favia and a Cyphastrea I want to start covering the bottom of the tank. The second round will be more LPS such as Euphyllia and Acanthastrea. The first round will also have a couple of Montipora I want for some interesting color and patterns up high (Spongodes, Tubb’s Stellata, and some colorful Digitatae). I will post more as the time approaches.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back