I saw someone stung by Nem and go Hospital

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why am posting here.

Normally I handle BTA using normal hospital gloves, they are quite thin like below
hospital-gloves-125x125.jpg

Is that safe from Nem sting or do I need gauntlet gloves?

images.jpeg

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends if you're allergic to their sting. If I do need to touch mine I don't use gloves because of feel sensitivity. I don't generally handle them, but if they split and need to be removed, I can gently tickle their foot off the rock without damaging them. I found when I used to use gloves I couldn't get a proper feel for their foot.

In answer to your question though, your surgical gloves would be sufficient to stop you being stung.

Are you allergic to anything else in general?

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of Topic a bit, do you think that surgical gloves can protect me against bristle worm?

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah should be okay, but I would probably say to leave the bristle worms unless there's a reason to handle them

Cintx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I handle my BTAs without gloves. I am not affected by their sting.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful handling nems even with surgical gloves on. The underside of your arm is still exposed, and the skin there is very thin and sensitive. I'm allergic to my gigs' nematocyst sting and if I get stung I get a itchy rash. I can't confirm but I also think the neurotoxin is responsible for my heart palpitations, which typically go away a week or so after getting stung.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of Topic a bit, do you think that surgical gloves can protect me against bristle worm?

My guess would be no... Bristle worms have sharp, brittle spines, I have little doubt they could easily penetrate a surgical glove.

Nems? I had a big haddoni carpet that I swear was trying to eat me when I had to touch him. Had to peel him off of me. BTA's? I've never even noticed that they sting. Everybody is different, I guess.

Used to have an encrusting fire coral in my tank. That one would let you know that corals can sting, for sure and for certain.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
often when I handle torches / nems I will get what I think is being stung, it is like a dull pain around the area that comes into contact with them. not too bad though

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back