I screwed everything up…

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about what happened. Somewhere I hear the voice of an overbearing parent or 4th grade teacher saying: “I hope you take the next 76 days in detention (fallow) to really think about what you have done!” Lol. Just kidding. Don’t be so tough on yourself. I once had to go fallow 3x in the same tank. Now THAT was humiliating!

Best wishes :)

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about what happened. Somewhere I hear the voice of an overbearing parent or 4th grade teacher saying: “I hope you take the next 76 days in detention (fallow) to really think about what you have done!” Lol. Just kidding. Don’t be so tough on yourself. I once had to go fallow 3x in the same tank. Now THAT was humiliating!

Best wishes :)
Thanks! So far everything is going well, I definitely didn’t think I’d have to do this all over again, but hopefully next time I’ll be even more careful! :)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two (2) 150-gallon FOWLRs with some pretty nice, large fish; things have been humming along for about a year since any parasite problem. Now I’m always terrified to add a Damsel and wipe out everything! :(

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sharkbait! I have been dealing with brook and just wanted to let you know that I have had good success with using Hydroplex/saltwater 10 minute dip to knock off the bugs. But the fish still need to be treated in a hospital tank.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update:

I STILL can’t catch the goby. I’ve been trying various techniques, but that darn fish just doesn’t want to go. @Jay Hemdal, if the clown indeed had a disease, shouldn’t it have shown up on the goby by now? What are the life cycle periods for these parasites? Could it have been a severe case of lymphocytosis? The water certainly needed to be cleaned when I came back from my trip..
for brook it can take a while and the fish can seem fine before it strikes.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Somehow, even under heavy copper, Luxo still has the same problem going on. It certainly looks parasitic, the problem is why it’s taken so long to disappear, especially when the fish is eating swimming, etc.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Somehow, even under heavy copper, Luxo still has the same problem going on. It certainly looks parasitic, the problem is why it’s taken so long to disappear, especially when the fish is eating swimming, etc.
Ugh what a pain. Any chance you can try TTM?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could try, but the thing is, the spots haven’t even gone away yet!!

My understanding is that even if they haven't gone away, there are constantly new ectoparasites attaching to fish, and older ones are falling off. Since they have an obligatory free swimming life phase, TTM is a way of making sure they never reattach as they fall off. Not sure if this applies to everything though. Is this still the clownfish? Maybe it would be worth it to try the formalin/methylene blue baths (safety stop) just to kick start the TTM, since these seem to be refractory to treatment.

violetjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar thing - was using copper power at 2.5 and was sort of helping but not all the way. I finally started adding metroplex to the copper every two days (followed instructions) and it really helped.

metroplex works on the bacterial infections while copper works on the parasitic. Moving forward will always treat with these two together.

this is humblefish protocol i do not take credit haha

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this still the clownfish? Maybe it would be worth it to try the formalin/methylene blue baths (safety stop) just to kick start the TTM, since these seem to be refractory to treatment.
Still the clownfish, the formalin baths could definitely work, maybe I’ll try that. Thanks!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back