I seem to have burnt the tips of my SPS - Chemiclean?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez louise
I got lucky that a) I heard the doser still running and b) had a frag tank that I could throw all my important pieces in. But I had to leave many sps in the 40 dkh while I was at work.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3, water changes. Po4 gfo. I only have a 29g biocube filled with SPS currently. Have a 40b with 40 sump/fuge, but need lights, controller, and dosing equips.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3, water changes. Po4 gfo. I only have a 29g biocube filled with SPS currently. Have a 40b with 40 sump/fuge, but need lights, controller, and dosing equips.
Did you recently change your gfo to drop po4?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran it for like a day to a day and a half. It was like .27 lol. Stopped dosing reefroids and acropower a lot.
That’s probably what caused the burnt tips. That’s a dramatic drop in a very short period of time. I’m not a fan of gfo and will never use it again with sps. My tank is smaller like yours, so if my po4 was alarmingly high, and I mean way higher than 0.27, I will just do massive water changes. Did everything look ok before the gfo?

BiGGiePauls33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s probably what caused the burnt tips. That’s a dramatic drop in a very short period of time. I’m not a fan of gfo and will never use it again with sps. My tank is smaller like yours, so if my po4 was alarmingly high, and I mean way higher than 0.27, I will just do massive water changes. Did everything look ok before the gfo?
I didn't have burnt tips.

BiGGiePauls33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the OP, lol.

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now 100% sure it had nothing to do with the chemiclean and everything to do with the bulb change. According to ATI -

How To Replace

1. New bulbs typically produce twice as much PAR (output) as old bulbs. To avoid shock to your corals it is always best to spread out a bulb change over a period of several weeks (Reef tank golden rule: nothing good happens fast).
  2. Change out just 1 or 2 bulbs per week. Doing so will allow your corals to more easily acclimate to the new, brighter bulbs.
I did follow instruction number two but even so, changing one bulb (even one a week as I did) would be a 25% increase in par instantly. I imagine that's enough to fry tips.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back