I am battling right now

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the story, I had to leave mid October until mid November. During that time my PO4 and NO3 bottomed out. Everything in the tank before (SPS and LPS) was looking amazing and well since the bottoming out, I have been battling the numbers/ burnt tips. Most of the SPS has burnt tips. I have since got the numbers back to being stable and where they should be. I have the apex, and it does its test like it should. The way of the past was to do manual tests on Sunday religiously. All tests got logged in the APEX as well so I can go back and see where everything was with my manual tests as well. my question is, how log will i be dealing with these burnt tips? Some days I think it is getting better and then I see some new die off. Should I still be seeing effects of the bottoming? I am now testing PO4 and NO3 everyday, All other tests are Wed and Sun

Current numbers are:

ALK: 8.03
CAL: 424
MAG: 1414
PO4: .09
NO3: 17
SAL: 1.025
TEMP: 77

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unfortunately every tank is different. Sounds like you have gotten it back on track to being stable. That is all you can really do. It will take time to get everything back to its previous glory. Don't give up.

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent experience of mine: See the burnt tips (due to low nutrients and too high of alk for nutrient levels) below. You'll notice algae on the tips as well...parameters were already fixed and corrected by this point.

burnt tips.jpg

6 weeks later, post parameter correction

burnt tips 2.jpg

Give it time....I'd say 6-8 weeks before recovery is visible. In fact, if you see algae start growing on tips, that is a sign to me the damage has stopped and is stabilizing. New white fresh bone = no good and issue is still ongoing. If you aren't seeing improvement after 6 weeks, I'd start looking at other causes/remedies. In fact, get your alk double checked. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
get your alk double checked.
My usual go to test for ALK has been the salifert, and I calibrate the trident off that. Since this episode I have implemented the Hanna checker as well. The tips I have that are burnt, they do have algae growing on them, and some do look to be recovering. I have taken pictures so I can try and see the healing happening.

Some weirdness that I am seeing is in the Monties, First they seemed ok, then they developed the faded color and now I can see on the edges where they are starting to recede back. Looking at my tests from the past I was a consistent 1300-1350, where now it seems that it has creeped up a bit to 1400+. I think I am going to let the Mag drop a little naturally and I also drained the mag tank I have and put some fresh made mix in.

I really did not think that little of a swing on the mag would really be that noticeable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back