I stocked a boring tank

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I thought I had it made. I finally got my 25g IM tank up and running. I love my coral collection and am looking forward to watching them grow more. I have bright coloured fish. However...my fish are boring. I only see one of them most of the time, another some of the time and the third one almost never!

I have a yellow watchman goby, who I never really expected to see much. He is the some of the time fish. The Springer's Damsel is my most of the time fish. My orchid dotty back found a rock it really likes and I haven't seen that fish for four days! The last time I saw it was for a fleeting second. Now, I knew I wasn't going to see the YWG much but I thought I would see the dottyback more.

Can I/should I add another fish since the tank space isn't being utilized?

Thanks in advance!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life is too short to be staring at a tank and have to assure yourself that “I have some really nice fish in there......................... somewhere.”

I have taken fish that perpetually hide back to my LFS for 20-cents on the dollar, and replaced them with fish I can actually watch. Lol.

OP
OP
MeMyFishandI

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life is too short to be staring at a tank and have to assure yourself that “I have some really nice fish in there......................... somewhere.”

I have taken fish that perpetually hide back to my LFS for 20-cents on the dollar, and replaced them with fish I can actually watch. Lol.

That is a good philosophy but I don't think I could get away with re-homing unless there was some serious aggression (kids really do get in the way of everything fun) :D

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a pair of clown fish or a fairy wrasse. They will be out and about. Wrasse will swim around. Clown fish less so but won't hide.

My fairy wrasse thinks it's a goby. There is a little hole and he just loves to sit in it looking out. He goes out for swims a good bit, but loves that hole.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd be quite tight for a fairy wrasse, it'd have to be a small one, which wouldn't have the terminal coloration.

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into Flasher Wrasses, Dwarf Angels, clowns, maybe a midas blenny, or perhaps a firefish. Any of those should be out swimming around more, and will make your tank more interesting.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three fish in a 25 gallon is not very many, and I think you could definitely add one or two more. A fairy wrasse or angel would get too big for a tank your size. Clowns, a royal gramma, or a hawkfish might be good options.

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15g and a Black fin wrasse. Lit of personality and swims around alot; will get a leopard wrasse m. Melagris when it comes again.

I also considered the typical nano tank fish but heard many of the same stories as yours.
If the wrasses out grow the tank, they are an easy sell if needed.

OP
OP
MeMyFishandI

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 gallons is really limiting. You can get a lot of interesting fish at 300g. You should do it.

Comments like this can get me in a lot of trouble.

((Can’t you just tell your kids that the ‘old’ fish went to visit relatives in the next ocean to the West?))

Well, the kid is 13, so I don't think I can pull that stunt anymore.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comments like this can get me in a lot of trouble.

Well, the kid is 13, so I don't think I can pull that stunt anymore.
When my kid was 6 or 7 our dog disappeared, likely stolen. We told him the dog went to live with Bob Ross, the painter. He is now 30 and we still haven't told him the truth.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back