I stop buying stuff for my tank and it's the best decision ever

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably on a flat bed :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I'm a bit biased - I've been in the automotive industry for 20 years and have grown to value reliability and comfort over my old sports cars.
I'm a bit biased as well. I've been in the repair end for over 35 years and I have not seen this reliability you speak of. On newer products diagnosis alone on anything non mechanical (which is the large majority of failures) is almost impossible for the average person and even challenging for the seasoned tech at times.
I'll fix that camero in the parking lot and if I blow an engine or trans have it running again the next day.
Disclaimer : I drive two 2023 models but I purchased the best warranty available with roadside assistance and rental coverage for break downs.

Last edited:

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2000s are the car sweet spot. All the creature comforts without the useless fluff we have today and you still have a good quality modern manufactured vehicle.

Reefing is much the same. You can get air conditioning power seats and Bluetooth and still keep it simple. :)

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a basic setup as well. No reactors or dosers. I manually test and add my ESV 2 part and MG. Water change 15-20g every 3 weeks or so, and test daily for alk, Hanna, and calcium every few days. The NO3 and PO4 once a week. The tank has tells, certain corals, that let me know where the tank is trending. My consumption is increasing a lot w growth so I may have to add a doser for the Alk and Calcium.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Who here doesn't have a closet full of unused reef gear? I have at least 3-4K worth of stuff for just in case moments.

I have a closet, half of a spare bedroom, a few boxes in the garage and a few more in the attic. I could probably start a retro fish store with all of the old equipment that I have, lol.

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I found this post. I set my nano tank up in March 22 and ran it solely on water changes for the first year, which went great.

I then started getting more "advanced" and confident, so started playing with things like activated charcoal, trace elements, polyfilters, colour boosters etc, and my tank has never been the same since. I wish I'd kept things simple, but was trying to do the best for my tank. None of the stuff I tried had any noticeable positives, and my tank genuinely looked better when I did simple water changes. In reality, nano tanks probably don't need much more than a regular water change anyway.

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I’ve notice reading threads like this one is everybody loves there reef until they touch it.

Doesn’t seem to matter how it was set up, as soon as you start adding more complex equipment and dosing everything under the sun the tank is never stable again.

OP
OP
N

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's black Friday and so far I only bought salt. Hahaha. The one thing I know I absolutely need. It's a shame though cuz there are some really deep discounts this year but all for equipments I don't have to have.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back