I think Apstasia x fell in my frogspawn! What do i do??

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frogspawn hasn't been looking good and I can't figure out what the issue is. It might he apstasia x, but I don't know what to do if it is.

20221211_221939.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted. My torches may have gotten a bite that got loose? They lost a few heads and I stopped using the stuff. I got a Copperband Butterfly that fixed the aiptasia quickly.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My frogspawn hasn't been looking good and I can't figure out what the issue is. It might he apstasia x, but I don't know what to do if it is.
There isn't much you can do. Once a product like Aiptasia X hits a coral, it starts dissolving it very fast. If you would have been able to get it off with in a second or two the damage might have been minimal. But it looks like the one side is gone now.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that stuff land in a bunch of my corals with no negative affects at all. Just turkey baste it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

20221211_221939.jpg
This is tissue recession due to stress. First thing to mention is Wall hammer is very very challenging due to calcium needs and easy to stress. Calcium should be 380-400 minimum and water flow should be subtle to moderate and well as the lighting. Too little light and they shrivel and too much flow and the polyps shrink. Too much flow and the polyps tear off the skeleton
Elevate this also off the sand as it gets stressed easily from sand grains.
Assure salinity and phos not elevated

OP
OP
L

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't much you can do. Once a product like Aiptasia X hits a coral, it starts dissolving it very fast. If you would have been able to get it off with in a second or two the damage might have been minimal. But it looks like the one side is gone now.
So there's nothing I can do now?

OP
OP
L

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tissue recession due to stress. First thing to mention is Wall hammer is very very challenging due to calcium needs and easy to stress. Calcium should be 380-400 minimum and water flow should be subtle to moderate and well as the lighting. Too little light and they shrivel and too much flow and the polyps shrink. Too much flow and the polyps tear off the skeleton
Elevate this also off the sand as it gets stressed easily from sand grains.
Assure salinity and phos not elevated
The phosphates are definitely elevated but they've been coming down bcs we've been doing water changes. Is there anything I can do in the meantime??

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So there's nothing I can do now?
I was thinking that you knew that you got aiptasia X on it, but after re-reading your first question, it sounds like maybe?, maybe not?
If it just up and shriveled up on it's own, it may come back.
A lot of the time when the flesh pulls back like that on a wall euphylia, they don't.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back