i think corals are dying

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys sorry for interrupting
as i said in the topic i think my corals have a bad shape
2 days ago i bought 2 carpet anemone and a lobo brain and a galaxea coral they were good and opening until yesterday i target feed all my corals zoo plankton i didnt see them opening and saw something hairy coming out from lobo brain and slimy
today, when i woke up, saw the lobo brain is bleaching like and some pats of its skeleton is showin i tried to move it and i felt the skeleton and my galaxea dont open too
after changing its spot i saw my trumpets that i had for 4 to 5 months is becoming brown in some parts near the mouth i found that my corals are dying 2 days ago i had test my parameters and its like that
no3:0
po4:0.08
ph:7.8
kh:10.2
no2:0
nh4:0
salinity:1.026
temp: is about 26 to 27 c

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 days ago i bought 2 carpet anemone and a lobo brain and a galaxea coral they were good and opening until yesterday i target feed all my corals zoo plankton i didnt see them opening and saw something hairy coming out from lobo brain and slimy
today, when i woke up, saw the lobo brain is bleaching like and some pats of its skeleton is showin i tried to move it and i felt the skeleton and my galaxea dont open too
after changing its spot i saw my trumpets that i had for 4 to 5 months is becoming brown in some parts near the mouth i found that my corals are dying 2 days ago i had test my parameters and its like that
Do include pictures of the affected corals. It really helps in trying to identify/diagnose the issue. How long has your tank been set up?

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do also elaborate on your flow (what pumps are you using and the flow rate/schedule) and also lighting (lighting intensity and schedule).

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2704.jpg
IMG_2705.jpg
IMG_2706.jpg

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do also elaborate on your flow (what pumps are you using and the flow rate/schedule) and also lighting (lighting intensity and schedule).
thanks for reply
its the picture of the corals
the tank has be set up for about 4 years after 1 year i start adding corals and anemones
i use an aquatec 3000 wavemaker
and lightning are DIY led lights which my lfs used and he had great success in using cause company lights are really expensive here
i use this lightning for about 6 months
and i turn on the lights from 11 am till 7 pm

Last edited:
OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys i found the problem it was the food which expired about 5 to 6 month ago
im gonna change the food do you think about anyways which i can make them back to normal

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? You got some deadly animals in your tank. No nitrates? I’d up that a bit! Your ph is on the lower side but it should be fine. I’d run carbon encase there’s some toxins in the water. My opinion carpet anemone should be in own system.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how much you feeding? I always go below the recommended amount and months later go to recommended amount but only if I don’t see progress.. too many new things through out the year complicate this hobby and again two carpet anemones?? Geez you do know those things get huge and 2 of them! Let me know how big is your tank and filtration you have set up at the moment.

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how much you feeding? I always go below the recommended amount and months later go to recommended amount but only if I don’t see progress.. too many new things through out the year complicate this hobby and again two carpet anemones?? Geez you do know those things get huge and 2 of them! Let me know how big is your tank and filtration you have set up at the momen
its actually a 12 gallon bio cube XD
i know its a little small
The carpets are small but i know they are going to be a lot bigger its why i dont feed them
after i changed my food to polyp lab and changed my zooplanktons and fito planktons
they become better and the color came back and even the lopholia skeleton was disappeared
and they are becoming bigger because of the food it was actually good
but i need to think about the carpets
my ph is now 8
and i dose 1 ml nitrate to my tank every day but it stucks on 0
thanks for ur advice
good luck

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its actually a 12 gallon bio cube XD
i know its a little small
The carpets are small but i know they are going to be a lot bigger its why i dont feed them
after i changed my food to polyp lab and changed my zooplanktons and fito planktons
they become better and the color came back and even the lopholia skeleton was disappeared
and they are becoming bigger because of the food it was actually good
but i need to think about the carpets
my ph is now 8
and i dose 1 ml nitrate to my tank every day but it stucks on 0
thanks for ur advice
good luck
not sooo.. lil small. It’s really small for such animal. I’d sell off or donate to someone who can keep properly. And also should be fed more meaty - shrimp for example. - no problem and good look as well! Mix reefs are super complex you would be best creating a certain type of reef dedicated to specific animals. For example a Zoa only tank especially at that size tank. Not only will you be more successful and happy but you will save money and save animals that depend on your care to live! There’s lots of information now days and forums so make use of it! Back when I started it was more complicated lol

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sooo.. lil small. It’s really small for such animal. I’d sell off or donate to someone who can keep properly. And also should be fed more meaty - shrimp for example. - no problem and good look as well! Mix reefs are super complex you would be best creating a certain type of reef dedicated to specific animals. For example a Zoa only tank especially at that size tank. Not only will you be more successful and happy but you will save money and save animals that depend on your care to live! There’s lots of information now days and forums so make use of it! Back when I started it was more complicated lol
You can most certainly have a mixed reef in a 12 gallon with mini maxi nems.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can most certainly have a mixed reef in a 12 gallon with mini maxi nems.
Totally agree... but buddy has 2 carpet nems - not mini maxi nems big difference!!! It’s easier to set up specific tanks especially for those who don’t have a big enough tank or lack experience. Saves you heart breaks, stress, cash and time.. and we all know how time consuming and expensive the hobby gets!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think expired food would cause your corals to do what you’re saying they are doing. My bet is that in a 12g tank with carpet nems and a Galaxea they are all stinging each other. Galaxea can put out 6”+ sweeper tentacles that can just dissolve other corals. Also, from the pictures, you’ve got at least 4 medium sized fish (when full grown) in a 12g tank. Along with two carpet anemones. I mean, what are you thinking?!?

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think expired food would cause your corals to do what you’re saying they are doing. My bet is that in a 12g tank with carpet nems and a Galaxea they are all stinging each other. Galaxea can put out 6”+ sweeper tentacles that can just dissolve other corals. Also, from the pictures, you’ve got at least 4 medium sized fish (when full grown) in a 12g tank. Along with two carpet anemones. I mean, what are you thinking?!?
Yeah it is a bit much. Maybe beginners mistake. I regret getting my carpet mushroom and where he decided to stay cause it’s interfering with my hammer. !!! Good thing is my new tank is on the wayyyy

Attachments

• CCD182EB-23C1-4505-BC37-84050943FF57.jpeg
    CCD182EB-23C1-4505-BC37-84050943FF57.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will they are actually making problem with my sand anemone
and after reading more about them they need a big tank to get bigger when they eat and they get really huge i just bought them for 3 bucks and i thought maybe my clowns will host them
i really like mixed reef but i need to be more careful with what i choose to buy
besides the carpet nems
i have
bta
cult coral
green fuzzy mushroom (i know its gonna grow very much so i put it on a rock for itself )
leather coral
one polyp
2 trumpet
a lobe brain
and a gsp
and one birdnest i think which is in a high place and it did well in last six months

Last edited:
OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully they are mini maxis lol, if it's carpets like the reckless petco around here sells they get 2-3 feet in diameter.
as i read about them i dont think they are mini maxi nems
but i will send better pics as soon as i get home

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as i known its just a beginner problem it will be fixed soon;Hilarious
but for real, i was dumb when my lfs told me to buy them and they dont get that much big if i dont feed them

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as i known its just a beginner problem it will be fixed soon;Hilarious
but for real, i was dumb when my lfs told me to buy them and they dont get that much big if i dont feed them
Sheesh, I'd get my advice from someone else you trust. Carpets are carnivores and at a minimum should receive a varied diet of meaty foods every 3-4 days or so, feeding them bi-daily or smaller meals daily works as well. I had good luck with mine for a long time but eventually it just got too big and one shot anything that got close to it. (Corals and fish)

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh, I'd get my advice from someone else you trust. Carpets are carnivores and at a minimum should receive a varied diet of meaty foods every 3-4 days or so, feeding them bi-daily or smaller meals daily works as well. I had good luck with mine for a long time but eventually it just got too big and one shot anything that got close to it. (Corals and fish)
oops
sorry for ur losses in corals and fish
to do list:
sell carpet anemones as soon as possible
if i had time i go to my lfs and sell them this afternoon
and i learned every time ask everywhere the buy corals, fish and etc... then buy it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back