I think I’m done.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask? Why is everyone so freaked out about Ich and running a sterile tank?
Now Velvet, Uronema or Brook I'd be worried about.

It's been said here that Ich doesn't kill unless the fish is under constant stress and has no immune system. Stress from TTM is pretty big IMO. Feed the fish good enriched food, alternate between adding Selcon & Vitachem, keep it's stress to a min and it will go away on it's own. To limit gill damage feed the fish frozen with Focus & Metro. That will kill the parasites active on the fish. If so inclined feed the fish that mix once daily for a week or anytime you see the spots on the fish.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I ask? Why is everyone so freaked out about Ich and running a sterile tank?
Now Velvet, Uronema or Brook I'd be worried about.

Sterile is a bit of a misnomer, rather parasite/disease-free.

I guess I look at it as... Would you prefer to manage a treatable disease on the daily basis and playing Russian roulette with your fish or simply eradicate the parasite outright? Your fish can be healthy and well fed, until it has a bad day/week whatever and gets taken out by something that could have easily been treated.

While not as deadly as Velvet, Brook or Uronema, ich can still kill your fish.

Anyway, this is starting to derail the thread a bit so I'll leave it at that.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sterile is a bit of a misnomer, rather parasite/disease-free.

I guess I look at it as... Would you prefer to manage a treatable disease on the daily basis and playing Russian roulette with your fish or simply eradicate the parasite outright? Your fish can be healthy and well fed, until it has a bad day/week whatever and gets taken out by something that could have easily been treated.

While not as deadly as Velvet, Brook or Uronema, ich can still kill your fish.

Anyway, this is starting to derail the thread a bit so I'll leave it at that.
I'm not asking this to be argumentative, as I'm truly interested. Is there a tank out there with tangs that they never show signs of Ich after a stress event?

I wen't through the same issues as the OP. Had a Yellow Belly Regal and a Kole in a 220. All fish were QT'd and put in the display. About a year and a half later, after never seeing a sign of Ich, I got a Purple. It went through a month QT with copper power at 2ppm for two weeks. Never saw a sign of Ich on it. Put it in an acclimation box in the display and within two hours it and the YBRT had Ich on them. After freaking out and doing some reading I went the Focus/Metro route and the fish were spotless, other than after a major rock rescape, till I tore it down before a move.

I'm in the process of setting up a 525g peninsula now and will have a lot more tangs. A local reefer is holding all the livestock I wanted to keep which include these fish. So I really am interested in your thoughts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back