k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system has gone too far , approximately 250 gallon -

Nh3 - 0
no2 - 0
No3 - 239 - Checked with 3 different kits numerous times - including hanna, API all pointing above 200 number
Phosphate - 0.06

All other parameters are normal (Ph, Salinity, Alk, CA, Mg).
RODI water is pristine.
Switched over to using Zeovit method.

Do i have any other option but a 100% water change ? Roughly even 90% water change will bring me to 23.9.

Corals - no sign of stress all fluffy - SPS extending their polyps and LPS are good too. / fish are good and no sign of stress - but failure is certain only a matter of time.

20% water change was just day before yesterday.

HELP PLEASE.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo how would it have gotten to 239? What was it before that? and when?

Hannah only goes up to 75 per their website. Sooo? Where is this "239" coming from?

I would be hesitant to freak out and do something drastic with all corals looking good.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, Good questions.
- 239 is achieved with 1:10 dilution and getting a result of 23.9
- Tested 2 times with full salt water and 1:2 dilution and got flashing 75 and deep red reagent (almost blood like)
- Tested the salt water mix and its near .5 on nitrate HR kit

Just added some bio bricks to the system to see if there is an improvement since using zeovit KZ method i am little skeptical of adding anything - still added a bare minimum dose of carbon just in case.

Thank you for the tip on not trying to do too much. However come to think of it, i added few emerald crabs (around 10 of them ) in the system. may be that could have (if one of them died somewhere).

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, Good questions.
- 239 is achieved with 1:10 dilution and getting a result of 23.9
- Tested 2 times with full salt water and 1:2 dilution and got flashing 75 and deep red reagent (almost blood like)
- Tested the salt water mix and its near .5 on nitrate HR kit

Just added some bio bricks to the system to see if there is an improvement since using zeovit KZ method i am little skeptical of adding anything - still added a bare minimum dose of carbon just in case.

Thank you for the tip on not trying to do too much. However come to think of it, i added few emerald crabs (around 10 of them ) in the system. may be that could have (if one of them died somewhere).
If you have one emerald crab die in a 250 gallons system causing nitrates of that level I think you’ve got way more issues than that

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 10 cubes of food in my 250 gallons system a day and have a nitrate of 7. I would look elsewhere besides the emerald crabs even if all 10 of them died it would not caused this

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio bricks generally won't do jack until they are colonized with bacteria.
I don't think your new salt water should be testing with any nitrate. You might want to call the company and ask. You said you tested the RO water, correct? Keep in mind that salt test kits won't work right for fresh water. I really believe your salt mix may be contaminated. You may have hit a pocket in the mix where it was particularly bad.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edited my last response. To reiterate, I definitely believe your salt mix may be contaminated, and you probably hit a pocket where it was particularly bad. I'd call the company and not use the rest of the bucket.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the salt mix (some of which was still left) from this weekends water change.

Yes i understand that bio-brick wont do something right away but hopefully slowly it might help. I have another one which is soaking in Biobacter 7 and will add it tomorrow morning.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a water sample to your LFS for a second opinion test. I'm pretty sure that high of level would impact fish at some point. I don't think your number is accurate unless you have no filtration export at all for months.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a water sample to your LFS for a second opinion test. I'm pretty sure that high of level would impact fish at some point. I don't think your number is accurate unless you have no filtration export at all for months.
Good idea - i will do that tomorrow morning. However like i said - used API test and multiple times tested with kit and newer reagent. So i am not so sure.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tried three different kits and it was consistent. I would think that's proof enough. They may want to consult an expert, though.

To the OP: Did you happen to disturb a spot in the sandbed you haven't really kept clean?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to salvage the monti, I'd try putting it somewhere it gets more flow and less light for now. I'm not really qualified to give advice about the corals, but...just a suggestion.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back