I think I have come up with a new way to sustainably get rock

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically what you do is you mariculture corals on a farm, then mine those corals for rock. You might ask, “what is the benefit of this?“ Well, it is sustainable. The rock will also be porous, unlike most rocks being sold right now. You might also ask, “why grow the corals in the ocean?” I heard that corals grown in aquariums are more brittle than those grown in the ocean. I also heard that corals grown in the ocean grow faster than ones grown on land.
For regular rock, you would probably grow something like pocillopora damicornis. For branch rock, you would grow some sort of thick staghorn acropora. For shelf rock, you would grow tabling acropora. And for plate rock, you would grow some type of plating montipora.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically what you do is you mariculture corals on a farm, then mine those corals for rock. You might ask, “what is the benefit of this?“ Well, it is sustainable. The rock will also be porous, unlike most rocks being sold right now. You might also ask, “why grow the corals in the ocean?” I heard that corals grown in aquariums are more brittle than those grown in the ocean. I also heard that corals grown in the ocean grow faster than ones grown on land.
For regular rock, you would probably grow something like pocillopora damicornis. For branch rock, you would grow some sort of thick staghorn acropora. For shelf rock, you would grow tabling acropora. And for plate rock, you would grow some type of plating montipora.
So continue please as rice is freshwater, marine is saltwater

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure all our natural calcium carbonate rocks are just dead corals. That’s how to coral reefs slowly built itself to the height it is. Corals grow, die, then regrow on dead coral for millions of years.

Unfortunately, due to global warming and ocean acidification, the coral reefs are bleaching.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think op is talking about making branch and tables , honestly there are acro that can grow like weeds . take green slimer as an example if you make many small slices and place them close together they'll likey Grow quickly into a large colony.

Honestly not a terrible idea but the farmers would get paid more for the living corals. Best bet is to make a better pourus rock by foaming concrete and adding soluable items say like curly pasta if you wanted to get fancy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 140 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back